Cornell's Rock Walls and more Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Cornell, Jun 19, 2014.

1. noahb195

noahb195 LawnSite Senior Member

Glad to see your posting pictures again. The pictures look better than ever. The truck looks great, I still cant get over how good it looks.

2. PC1250LC

PC1250LC LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Trust me, been there and done that. City records are worthless. Last one I was on sanitary was supposed to be 9' ended up almost 15' less than a minute after we got everything and everyone out we had a 40' cave in. Lucky day....
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. SP Landscaping

SP Landscaping LawnSite Member

Happy to see you posting again. How do you guys charge? Time and material or are these walls by the sq ft? If you don't mind me asking.
    Either way you gotta be making a butt load from them......... Also are you still getting the rocks from that farmer you used to get them from?

4. Cornell

Cornell LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Appreciate it! I put the lift that was on the crew cab on it and the crew cab is going bigger just to say I did it then I'll probably sell that truck. :)

Yep, I really didn't have a choice and it was the last place I wanted to be. The gas line was literally right on top of the sewer. So I excavated as far to the left as I could but the entrance to the site was right there too. I didn't want anyone else down there. No cave ins. Those pictures look worse than it was, I had 2 - 1 slopes on 2 sides of the hole and a 3 to 1 where I walked down. I've had just about every close call you could have but it just comes with the territory of building walls I suppose. Last year I had a PC1250 bailing sand right next to me as high as he could and he took a 10 yard bucket of clay and threw it on top of the sand... needless to say it came down on me in the DX180 and I saw it and had just enough time to swing away. I cost me a service door but no one got hurt.

Wall price depends on the contract so it's never the same. I'm not in charge of the pricing side I just build them. Rocks aren't cheap though, most of the price is trucking them from up North. Suppliers are the ones that pick them from fields for the farmers and get rid of them. I don't get into that side of it ....the rocks just show up in side dumps, end dumps and straight trucks the size that I call for. We have 3 different companies we buy rocks from and I couldn't tell you what a load costs.

5. Cornell

from MN

Here's a couple from today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

If you ever want to sell that reg cab short box , you let me know first !
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

How does the little 85 Mini ex do lifting?

8. Cornell

from MN

There is a line :laugh:

Awesome, it was either the DX85 or the new KX080-4 and the DX85 lifted about 400 pounds more than the Kubota did, and with lifting rocks all the time that was a big deal. I like the cab of the Doosan better too. Sight lines over the right side of the Kubota are a little better but not much.

9. anthonyp

anthonyp LawnSite Member

Thanks for the pictures and explanations Tony

10. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

So glad that you brought this thread back. It has always been one of my favorites, y'all do amazing work. Hope you're keeping plenty busy this year!