Cornell's Rock Walls and more Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Cornell, Jun 19, 2014.

1. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

First time checking in here. Awesome work you do. Is the rock walls what you specalize in and retaining walls? Do ya do any other work, or what are your services you do. Do you own the company, just curious as you said you dont know what the costsof the bolders run for your job?? Nice work, and if you just do rock walls, that's a neat niche to offer.

2. Cornell

Cornell LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Yes we are very busy, and thanks!

The company does mostly retaining walls, some odd jobs as well. We demo'ed a water tower a couple years ago. That was pretty fun.

It's a family owned company. I have enough things to do that I don't do the bidding or pricing on stuff I just build them.

3. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Sure is a wicked fleet, like the little 85.

Need to get your Bobcats painted to match the excavators.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. coopers

coopers LawnSite Bronze Member

What factors were in play for you guys to decide on the type of Towtem you have versus this more closed clamshell type? This is all I see here in WA.

towtem.png

5. Cornell

from MN

I can pick up larger rocks with my style clamshell. If I had the closed style I could only use the teeth to pick large rock up. The style you posted would be nice for material handling but they also weigh more.

6. coopers

coopers LawnSite Bronze Member

Ah okay. Your style is the first I've seen someone use for rockeries.

7. Cornell

from MN

Going through some old pictures, this wall wall pretty good size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

Where does the rock come from? I bet your supplier just loves you guys. Do you know what it costs per ton?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

I can't believe that grapple has the strength to squeeze that rock so tight it won't fall out. That rock has to weight 15k pounds or more. That's just unreal.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Cornell

from MN

It comes from northern Minnesota from farmers fields mostly. Rocks up there are bigger than around the cities here. I think one of our suppliers gets rocks from sand pits too but not sure. Not a clue on cost per ton.

DX180 won't lift 15k pounds, especially like that. No idea what that rock weighed. Decent size though.