Cornered the Market

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DBM, Mar 20, 2001.

1. DBM

DBM LawnSite Member

Up here in British Columbia, Canada the biggest lawn care company (W**d Man) seems to have cornered the market in spraying. While handing out flyers today, I'll bet you 5% of all the homes in the neighborhoods I was targeting had been sprayed for moss by this company. It also appears to me that they're not returning to rake out the dead stuff.

Most lawns here are infested with moss, if they're not raking out the dead stuff how in the world are they seeding over these spots? Also, has anyone else up here in the Great White North had experience with this company and the way they do things?
    Doug

2. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I got a letter this spring from W**d man asking if i wanted to start a franchise. Great earning potential no expirence needed. WHATS THAT? Another Tru-brown company trying to lowball us to death.

3. IMHO big green and big weed are great for business (mine anyway). After they create an inch of thatch or sterilize
    the soil so nothing will grow due to repeated blanket apps. their old customers call me.

They look like deer in the headlights when I tell them what it will cost to put humpty dumpty back together again.

Plus I give them no time frame on how many years it might take for all the herbicides to leach from the soil.

4. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

Great point Stone!!!

I too have had some jobs come my way by the "profesionals" screwing it up.

Chalk one up for the little fish!

5. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

YYYUUP!.. I can offer 2 fertilizations and 2 weed treatments for a 5-10K sqr ft lot for easily $50-75 less than Lawn Doctor ($250), and still make 35-50$$ per treatment.

6. DBM

DBM LawnSite Member

I had the chance to talk to a new customer today about this company. They charge $95.00 to spray moss killer on her lawn. Her lawn is 2000 square feet! It's my first year at this and guess what service I'll be marketing hard next spring. I'll charge extra for cleanup and I'll be laughing all the way to the bank. It's seems that this company does not care what's in the customer's best interest.

Doug

7. jjfehr

jjfehr LawnSite Member

Distribute flyers that say something like "I noticed that whomever did your spraying did not complete the job, I would like the opportunity to finish the job that they started" Really drive home the point that they did not finish the job!!!!!!! Be sure to give an ballpark estimate on the flyer. make sure to tell them that this is the price that you would have charged for the whole job! This is a perfect time to remind them that you are a small business and each and every customer is imoprtant to you. This is why you do the job right the first time.

If you are confronted with a problem, there is always a solution around the corner.

Go get the business that these guys created for you!

8. DBM

DBM LawnSite Member

GREAT IDEA! I'm not really into thinking tonight - too sore from raking 9000 square feet of moss out of lawns. Filled the back of my truck! Thanks, I'll work on it tonight.

Doug