Cornerstone Workshop

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Mike33, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I attended Cornerstone srw seminar today in Walkersville, Md. It was intersting and met the Man who founded the product. Also Nicolock pavers any comment on them.
    Mike

2. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

Nicolock is based on LI and they have a plant down by you in MD. In my experience their wall block is average at best and their quality control is bad. the colors are very inconsistent and the blocks are often times more than a 1/4" off from block to block. that being said, I hear their pavers are decent.

3. Mike33

yes, we drove by the plant today but that was nickolot and they do have block but im not familiar with them. The cornerstone is made in frederick also by York block.
    Mike

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I was there, but kept a low profile, as I wasn't feeling very well - body ached and had a head ache. I felt like I could have closed my eyes and gone fast asleep.

I saw Vern speak 2 yrs ago and he got into more detail and really humblely displayed in passion for the industry.

I thought most of the speakers were boring today! Although the attorney provided alotta good insight into reality.

Nicolock's of MD's new G.M. (Jim Z) is the G.M from the Crofton MD Balcon that was recently fired (so I was told)! And I see he brought his tag-along 'Bob', who was slso fired from Balcon (so I was told). Today Jim Z, said they will only allow good contractors to become 'Authorized Nicolock Contractors'. This is interesting as one of the Contractors that they will be authorizing, has on his court record, written by a judge: "performs unprofessional work"! Will the new Nicolock become another Balcon??

I also liked that Jim Z said "we have the most state of the art paver plant in the United States"! There is no way they even compare to Techo-bloc, (unless they bought the patents from Techo).

5. Mike33

I wished you would of looked me up. I was tiered and bored a lot also. I got up at 3 am found a broken water line on my hot water tank, plowed and salted 2 lots then met my buddy at 5:20 to drive down , we arrived around 7:30. I was impressed with Vern , especially when he started bouncing about the way they made access to get to back yard by tearing the guys garage out. I seen him earlier and could not believe who he was. He acted like he was one of us. So is nickolot any good paver wise? in your opinion.
    Mike

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I would have to agree with cedarcroft. I would never recommend using their product unless a customer specifically asks for it. IMO there is so much more quality products out there at the same prices. :)

7. Mike33

Im getting ready to possibly get in to pavers and would not know good from bad. Can you explain there negatives and reccommend a good one.
    Mike

8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

We use Nicolock and Techo.

Both have their good points and bad points.

I haven't had any problems with Nico.

9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Mike, I really can't say anything about their pavers to be honest with you. Besides their old product before they came out with armor-con, their pavers arent bad. On the flip side I have had horrible luck with their wall units. Between color variances and differences in the same product within the same pallets, I think their QC is on the way low side. Residential tend to install alot of Cambridge, Unilock, and Techo. :)

10. Mike33

Thanks, im stuck on allen block for srw. The reason i was asking i have a good friend who has a mulch yard and he does all of my trucking. He started last year selling cornerstone block and nicolock pavers. I told him i would use his block on jobs he sold for me. So far i have done about 6 walls. I dont care to change blocks block but if i start doing pavers i would love to give him my business. This guy is very good to me and great doing business with. He saved me from buying a dump truck. So if i can get some good feedback on there pavers i"ll go that way. how ever i can not compromise quality and do what i have to do. We also have a EP henry dealer in my area. Any in put i appreciate.
    Mike