CORP CODE in NJ

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by spitfire3416, Mar 20, 2013.

1. spitfire3416

spitfire3416 LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know if you need a corp code if you are a sole proprietor operating in NJ? I picked up a new enclosed trailer with lettering on it yesterday and tried to get my plates this morning. Apparently EVERYONE there says you need a corp code regardless of whether or not you are a sole proprietor. EVEN though the MVC website clearly says on it:

"Sole proprietorships and partnerships are not required to register with Commercial Recording but must provide a Business Registration Certificate or Tax License issued by the New Jersey Division of Revenue or proof of registration with the county clerk where the business is located."

So is it just me, is it the idiots over at the MVC or is it actually possible the state of new jersey would provide false information on their very own website for millions to go by?

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

You need the corp code to register the vehicle in the company name. If you are a sole proprietor you are "Doing business as", but the company is not an actual recognized entity. In that case your vehicle is registered to you since you are the business.

3. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If its lettered it needs to be registered with the corp code, same with truck it needs corp code and commercial tags even if its magnetic signs.

4. spitfire3416

spitfire3416 LawnSite Senior Member

cool, thanks. I applied today so just gotta wait to hear back.

5. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup- everything commercial needs a corp-code. Maybe you'll get lucky, but it took the state about 6 weeks to get one back to me.....

6. Nj shade

Nj shade LawnSite Member
    from Nj

If you go to a "regional" DMV office, eatontown NJ is one, you can walk out with one same day if they aren't to busy. Don't rember EXACTALY what you need but I know it's a letter on company letter head requesting a corps code, your license, EIN number, and a few more papers. If you have stuff in order and ready the new DMV isn't as bad as once was but is still a state run business