Correct Fix ?? White Smoke

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by kingofbling, May 5, 2006.

1. kingofbling

kingofbling LawnSite Member
    from dallas

Hello all,

Today i had a new employee i recently hired do 3 of my lawns as i was taking the day off, on the second lawn he calls me up and tells me that my 21" Toro Proline (Commercial) Mower all of a sudden let out a puff of white smoke and a backfire with "actual fire" and then it stopped.

So he finishes the job up with the backup mower and once he comes back i try to start the mower and it starts, however it shuts off. Upon closer inspection i notice that its spitting out what appears to be burnt oil out of the exaust type thing in the front, next thing i notice is the oil case is overfilled (the oil was up to the middle of the dip stick) he then tells me he put more oil because it was "backfiring" when he turned it off, but i had already told him in the past that to make it stop backfiring when you shut it down is to run it in "slow mode aka turtle mode" for about 25 seconds and then shut it down.

So should draining some of the oil and letting it run for a while fix this problem ? or should it be taken to the dealer (they charge $85 per manhour to check the problem). Im thinking this should fix it but im not 100% sure, so i thought some of you might have had this problem before.

Do any of you guys know the easiest way to drain the oil, there appears to be no plug.

2. Metalmacguyver

Metalmacguyver LawnSite Member

well if you cant find a plug then its gotta come out the same way it went in. just have your guy get a work out holding the mower in a contorted position so it can fully drain.:weightlifter: :laugh:

as to what possible damage occured inside i have no idea. i dont think it would hurt to try draining the oil and refilling it to the correct level and then trying to start it.

3. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

there also appears to be no mention of what engine is on this mower. and you've owned this HOW long and don't know how to drain the oil????

4. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

if the oil was to the middle of the dipstick then DEFINITELY empty the oil pan. all engines have drain plugs but it's easier to drain the oil out of the dipstick by layin the mower on it's side (THE SIDE OPPOSITE OF THE AIR FILTER).
    when there is too much oil it can enter the valve chamber and go into the muffler... in turn causing it to burn the oil and exhaust white smoke. i'd also change the spark plug in case of fouling and check the air filter.... a lot of times the oil gets into the filter. after this fill oil pan to the correct level and let it run for a while until it burns out the rest of the oil in the muffler. you should be good after this.

5. Tech man

Tech man LawnSite Member

Pull the dipstick out and tip it on its side.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Or put an oil pump tube down that dipstick tube. You got the simplest solution.