Correct Starter For Kawasaki PA540 A

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by burlap, May 2, 2006.

1. burlap

burlap LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I've been looking for a starter for a JD F525 with a Kawasaki 17 Hp PA540A engine. The JD # is AM108615. Twice I've gotten starters that crossed with that number and neither one fits properly. The mounting holes may line up if I ground down a portion of the aluminium housing. Also, the hole in the housing is 2.91 inches and the starter is 2.75 inches. I think that is too sloppy. I haven't tried John Deere because of the $400 price. Any ideas would be appreciated. Lloyd

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

You may be stuck:cry: John Deere has had there own spec#s from Kawi for years. They always have something different that keeps you from ordering straight from Kawi and forces you to buy from the Yellow and Green.
    Sorry your not the first who has tried Believe me.:)

3. Tech man

Tech man LawnSite Member

IF you have the old one(?) you could have it rebuilt.

4. burlap

burlap LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I wish I had the old one but I don't. That may be plan "B". It's really surprising how much incorrect information is out there. I would appreciate finding something I could have rebuilt. There must be some junk sites out there. Thanks, Lloyd

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I tried to look your engine up but that number was not listed on my dealers web., All I found in a 540 is a FC540V. Could you not install your old end cap on the new cheaper starter ?

Didn't see your post before me !!!!

6. burlap

burlap LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

The old starter's end cap was broken when the connecting rod broke through the side of the housing. I threw it out long ago. I've seen the engine referred to as a FC540V or PA540A, I assume they're the same. I do have a starter for a F510 which has a different number. Maybe the end cap would be interchangable. One starter site is selling a starter that they claim replaces both which I find hard to believe. I'll check. That site claims that their starter replaces the starters for the GT262, GT275, LX170, 170, 265, my John Deere number for the F510-F525, and 325. As you can see I'm still looking for ideas. Thanks, Lloyd

7. Restrorob

OK, Done some more checking and found 2 different starters for a FC540V, But one must have a revision or code number to identify which goes on a certain engine. Can you look on your engine for any numbers Like PA540A-BS03 or CS03 ect. the last letters and numbers would be the revision or code numbers. Both these starters are in the $ 385.00 range, One end cap is $ 55.64 and the other is $ 50.82.....

8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

The rev number is going to be a JD rev though since JD is a self servicing OEM. They are not listed on the Kawi dealer site. It'll be a crapshoot between one or the other.

9. Restrorob

Yeah, I kinda figured that but thought why not give it a shot.
    One not only gets the screw when buying a JD but when they need parts or service also. :dizzy:

10. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Well.. it's time to buy some stock in a screw manufacturer. Just think how many Lowes and HD John Deere mowers are going to be turning a year or two old pretty soon. Gonna be alot of people out there suddenly hit with why the JD mower was so cheap to buy there.