1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Correcting a Goof during Patio Installation

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by xpnd, Apr 17, 2007.

1. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

A few years back I installed a patio at my house. Yes as someone that only does maintenance work, I probably should have had someone that new what they were doing do it for me but I figured, "What the heck it can't be all that hard."

Here's the problem. I had to increase the grade at the one end by about 30". I know the base is compacted. Between using my F-350 and then a plate compactor, a 747 could have landed n it when I was done. The sand bed that I leveled the base with is the problem. Where I had brought up the grade, the sand has percolated from under the flagstone and weeped out of the cracks between the Windsor blocks. Now that I have this problem, I read (should have done that before) that I should have had a lining of landscape fabric on the inside of the Windsor rock. This winter I'm looking at picking up the rock along the perimeter, taking down part of the wall and installing the fabric.

I'm just wondering for you guys that do this for a living and should have done mine, is there a better way. My time is cheap in the winter but if there is a quicker, better solution I would like hearing from you.

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

If you brought the grade up 30", then you probably have around 9 courses of wall block or 36" of block.... That's WAY too much for that type of block. I don't think I've ever seen any Windsor-type block from any manufacturer that's recommended for elevations over 24"...

Yes, you should have either used geo-textile fabric or some other means to keep the sand from migrating.

Is there a better way? Yep, build it with the right wall to begin with, and use plenty of fabric. Did you put fabric between the dirt and your gravel?
  3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

pictures? it would help .
  4. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

You think? Who needs to read the book? Can't be that hard. Bring in the fill dirt, compact the heck out of it, level with a sand bed, lay rock and presto chango you have a patio. I should have not even attmtped this. I should not have been a cheap butt and had someone come in that does it for a living. Just because I can make beautiful lawns didn't translate to making beautiful patios!

I will get some pics when I get some sun, probably tomorrow. I'm not sure how telling they will be. Basically from the perimeter/rock wall for about a 1' to 18" the flagstone has sunk. This leaves an appearance that the patio is humped at the center. The wall is 6 course high. I'm not having wall integrity problems, just the migration of the sand out of the cracks between the Windsor rocks.