Correcting Fertilizer Streaking

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by jacketDC, Jul 27, 2007.

1. jacketDC

jacketDC LawnSite Member

I recently spread fertilizer and have left streaks in my yard. What can I do to correct this problem? How long will it take to make this where it is not noticeable? It has been two weeks since the initial application and I have not done anything since. Thanks!
  2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Always use a broadcast spreader. Invest in a "commercial" spreader -- not the cheapo's with plastic tires that homeowners see at chain stores. Then make sure you overlap plenty. Drop spreaders get us more business than you could imagine. Sounds like you are a homeowner, no prob, cuz you need advice too. Ebay often has 'em (usually LESCO), then all you need is a good spot sprayer. Your might take 2,,3,4, or 5 months for them to go away. By next spring, you should be good to go. A good commercial spreader will last you 10 years or more. Maybe 20 years. Good luck.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Go over it again in the opposite direction. It should look better in about a week if you keep it well watered. Be prepared to mow more than usual. A lot more!
  4. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Uh, yea- but split the APP!!!
  5. pesticide

pesticide LawnSite Member

may i clarify "opposite" direction here,,, re-fert the lawn with your strips perpendicular, or "crosswise" to your original strips. overlap the broadcast pattern of fert so that the edge of your broadcast pattern falls on the footsteps of your last strip.

amen to the drop spreaders being junk. too funny this spring, a next door to one of mine used a drop with some pre-m. too funny. mid march the guy had perfect lines of thistle and henbit all cross his lawn.
  6. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

try a low n fert with alot of iron lesco has 9-2-24 6%iron and go in the other direction if you went east and west go north and south
  7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Good advice bug guy! I like the Fe approach.

I guess he doesnt state how bad that lawn is streaked...but if only 5-10% of the lawn why not just hit the areas that are "light" with a hand spreader.

This would lower his cost and take care of the areas only in need.

I hate seeing the whole lawn get hit again just because of a few missed areas.
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Bug Guy

You bring up a Great Point about Low Nitrogen, high minors. To use Ironite a high minors and very low N-P-K product would be my recommend cure for streaking.
  9. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

Brings up another point though, a lot of lesco's high k ferts have an outragous amount of salt and/or chlorine. Would work good for icemelt, potassium chloride, but i don't think i would put it on my lawn. I stopped using their 5-10-31 for this reason. And it had 10% Fe.

Cheapest and quickest way to cure the problem is to go get some chelated iron and spray the areas that are off color. IMO

Also, if i were him, depending on the size of the lawn(<10k), i would go get a thirty dollar scott's rotary spreader. I doubt you'll pay less than 100 for a commercial that you don't really need and your scott's will last you at least 3-5 years if you take care of it. Now, if you have more than 12 or 15k, than american is right, you need a commercial. There's a big difference. I hate seeing some homeowner with a 350 dollar lesco on his 5k lawn. Why? 2 passes and your done.
  10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Honda D

Yes a Chelated Iron Spray would cure the problem Quickly but not for long. You must also realize the fact a homeowner is asking the question. I don't know of too many Homeowners with a skid sprayer.