1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

correctly sloping a raised patio?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by sgilroy, Sep 4, 2007.

1. sgilroy

sgilroy LawnSite Member

i need to add about 3" of dirt to correctly slope an area for a concrete paver patio. what should i use? this area has to be raised on one end of the patio instead of lowering the other end as would be the typical method due to an obstruction. there will be 4-5" of crushed stone on top of the dirt, then an inch of stone dust, then the concrete cobblestone pavers.

others have recommended stone but i'm not sure they understood the increased height was to SLOPE the area for drainage, not just uniformly raise the patio height. doesn't the soil need to be sloped in the direction of desired drainage? (as well as the paver surface, obviously).

any other suggestions to fill for the grading before the stone base layer?

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

Scott your not going to make friends/get respect on this site if you start another thread because you didn't like the answers or didn't get enough responses. Provide pictures or drawings or more detail to help get the responses rolling.

From what I understand/assume your saying is that you believe you need to adjust for slope with the soil and then use roadbase to make the foundation solid, correct? And that this is because water will flow through the roadbase but run down and away when it hits the soil, yes?

Every seen what happens when water hits asphalt, it washes off and into the gutter. This is what will happen when the rain hits your pavers, so use 6-8" of roadbase (crusher run #1 or 5/8ths crusher), then finish with 1" of bedding sand (concrete sand or sometimes called patio sand, its mostly sand but has some larger bits in it, ask if it is ASTM 33 certified) The sharp edges of the stonedust that is widely available in our area does not allow the pavers to properly settle and lock among other reasons.

Heck, I did a patio around a pool this spring and the back of it was 2' above grade, I used 45 ton of crusher building that up, never once thought of doing it all in dirt because I want it done right.
  3. sgilroy

sgilroy LawnSite Member

thanks grn mtn,
    my intent was certainly not to offend anyone. if i did, i apologize. i really thought the information given was enough to provide a response like the one you provided. thanks for your help and to all thiose who responded to my other post.