Corrosion Resistant Backflow Handles

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jbell36, Nov 14, 2011.

1. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

an irritating issue that we run into when dealing with backflows (in-ground double check) is the #1 and #2 shutoff handle/levers start rusting out and breaking off...is it just me or does this bother anyone else? seems like a stainless steel or brass handle, like the backflow itself, would be a much more logical choice...do companies like watts or febco offer this or at least replacement levers that you could simply swap out before you install the backflow?

2. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah they do sell them. Stainless steel handles.

It's super fun to carefully sawzall the corruded handle off the spindle to put a new one on

3. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

yeah i know what u mean, it def doesn't look fun but it might be worth it...seems like this should be standard from the factory, i honestly can't believe they would sell a $100 backflow and skimp on something so simple and inexpensive

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you buy in quantity, you can always specify stainless handles and nuts as an option

5. mitchgo

I agree completely

To my knowledge . Conbraco is the only one that has stainless steel handles stock on some of their assemblies

2" or less

6. mitchgo

sounds like a large investment .

Yes I need to order 100 back flow devices so I can get the discount on stainless steel handles please

7. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Mitch, You're right on conbraco, Made right here in NC.

Their handles are stainless.

Everyone pushes wilkins / watts so hard around here, id rather install conbraco myself and support a local business.

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

how much is a 1 " conbraco pvb? I asked my supplier to get me pricing and he never did.

9. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

The Conbracos are nice if you are putting them in a valve box because you can service both checks from the top unlike the Wilkins.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Why not just buy the replacement ss handles when you purchase it and swap them out when its a piece of cake.. Getting a supply house to stock stuff like that can be a biatch.