corrupt gas stations?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by MikeKle, Jul 18, 2008.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I noticed oil dropped quite a bit today in trading, but the gas stations are not lowering the prices by much here, maybe 2-3 cents! When oil goes up though, they raise it almost immediately, I remember when oil went from 140 to 145, the local stations raised it like 25 cents! for just a $5 increase! but when it drops more than $10 a barrel, they dont do anything. I am beginning to think these station owners are as corrupt as the oil people,they say they only make a few cents profit off every gaallon of gas sold. I dont buy that, they wouldnt sell it if it wasnt a good profit, where else is their profits coming from, sodas and snacks?! I wonder if theres a way to see what they pay when they order a fuel delivery, I remember filling up my walkbehind for under $7. now its like $20+!!!!!!You can only raise customers so much, no one is going to pay $75. to mow a 5000SQFT yard! Sorry Im venting ,these gas prices are pissing me off. I wish for once the media would interview someone in lawn care instead of these people who ***** about spending $50. a week for their little compact car!

2. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

Yup, it's sad...I drove to the next town because $4.19 was better than the $4. 30 here. How sad is that? $4.19 is a deal?!!:hammerhead:

3. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

drove by a station with gas at 4.49 the other day

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Gas is to draw you in and buy soda, chips and most importantly, cigarettes. Cigs are the #1 profit item for them. And their prices dont go up and down based on the stock market, but by what fuel costs them.

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I got lucky and found a station with gas at 3.93!!!!

6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

It's not the station that sets prices. They get a very tight range that they can adjust and pay accordingly. The stations that charge more have to pay more for their gas (even when it comes from the same place).

7. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

So, how are they not making $ if I could drive through 3 towns and the price differs up to 30 cents a gallon?

8. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Diesel is $4.55 in Memphis, Premuim gasoline is $4.11??.

Lets all give a round of applause for Bill Clinton & the Demorcats, if I recall one of Slick Willie's first bills Banned any future off shore or inland USA oil drilling:confused:

We wanted a global economy NAFTA:confused:, Equal oppertunity lending for all, and look were we are to say the least. Shame on all of us i still go out of my way to buy American.

Don't see the Demorcatic control house ie Nancy Pelosi "jumping to fix the problem, oh no:nono: democrats want us to be misrable until the Next presidential election. :laugh: Ten years to get oil BS, the experts say maybe two in the gulf where theirs established oil rigs & refinaries:hammerhead:

Very sad, very sad;)

9. TheKingOfLawns

TheKingOfLawns LawnSite Member

I agree, it's not all straight and clean as "They dont set the price"

That's B.S.

Literally, there are 2 citgo stations by me 1 block appart. Same state, county, town, so same exact taxes, same parent company, and same fuel supplier, seen the trucks all the time. Only thing different, 2 DIFFERENT OWNERS.

They are constantly different prices, they are literally sometimes 30 cents apart in price.

Got another gas station, they adjust the price according to the time of day.

Gas at this Speedway by me changes prices 6 times each day.

They hike it by 15 cents in the moring when it's busy, then back down by 10:00 or so, then it's back up at noon, and back down at 1:30 or 2:00, then back up 15 sometimes 20 cents by evening rush by 4:00, then it's back down at 8:00.

They're all full of Sh*t

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Nice thread, and interesting topic. Everyone just lets off the gas station owners, thinking they make a razor thin profit or nothing on gas. The first poster makes a good point, selling gas just to bring people in to buy chips, beer, pop, etc? Who can make a living selling that stuff only, if gas isn't making them anything? Who's to say that they are making anything on the food/drink they sell either, aren't food prices also up?? So, the profit is made somewhere and darned sure a chunk of it is on fuel. Now, if we could look in the magical curtain of Oz and find out just how much - the method behind the madness.....