1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cost and profit per hour running your Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Apr 14, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Would appreciate your sharing your formula for billing out your Z on an hourly basis....cost to run plus any hourly profit you may add.

I have a job coming up where I'm going to put about 20 hours on the machine and I think I'm under forecasting my run time cost/profit. (the blades will be off....hauling debris to a farmers field).

Thanks once again for you help
  2. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

Machine cost per hour=((Machine purchase price) - (residual value at end-of-life) + (replacement cost) + (maintenance and fuel costs for life of mower)) / total hours of useful life.

Machine profit per =(your hourly rate)-((the above figure)+(your basic hourly overhead))

This is off the cuff so I make no guarrantees regarding thoroughness.
    I encourage you to do a search on the subject, I beleive it was Guido that once wrote a very lengthy post on the subject.

BTW, Jim Huston (a Green Industry consultant) bases expected life of a mower at 100 hours per horsepower. I don't know how that translates in the real world because I haven't been at this that long but I'm sure other members could shed some light.

At the very least, it is a good conservative figure from which to work.

3. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Hmmmmm! 100 hours per HP, Lets hope not. I know he is speaking of averages but with a good maintenance program you can get a machine to last a very long time.

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

seems possibly a small bit low but no too far off the mark

I figure my cost at 10-15 per hour depending on which machine
    (walker,sentar,turf tiger)
  5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe someone could enlighten me. Are you guy's saying that you get more an hour to mow with a rider than with a WB? Also, what you do you get for a WB with a velky. Do you charge by the size of the mower cut? My WB is 54", and many riders are only 52". Does that mean I should get more per hour??
  6. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

No one made a connection between deck size and pricing.
    The question simply has to do with operation costs per machine hour.

OBRIANMAINT gave you his cost range because the machines he listed each have a different cost.

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

at the risk of saying what may or may not be obvious, one of the assumptions here is that the more expensive your mower is to purchase and operate, the higher your productivity should be. In addition, there is less operator fatigue(when riding) when its 90 degrees and therfore again your productivity should be higher, but so are your costs