1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

cost comparison Organic Vs. Traditional

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Newby08, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

2. GaGolfSup

GaGolfSup LawnSite Member

Clay will retain water actually better than most soils. The problem is getting it in the profile to begin with. I think the organics go a long way towards making the soils less repellent. It takes time though. I look at turf almost like a child. The first year or two it is not really capable of maintaining itself. As you build the soil profile and it gets deeper and deeper roots the more self sustaining it will be. Aeration is important at first, but I think it becomes less important as your turf matures and you feed it correctly. If you get the microbes working and the earthworms working, the soil opens itself up.

The humates contain so many micronutrients that I think it is a great beginning program. I have only been using them for a few years. I think soil testing is key, because long term use could result in heavy metal buildup. The other problem is they are mined in Utah, so it is not exactly the most environmentally friendly thing having them shipped from there.

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

GaGolfSup
    There is actually an excellent source of Humate very near you in Atlanta. The mine is owned by one individual that keeps it to himself and lets only a few folks use or market it. turfpro is one of the companies that bottle it

4. GaGolfSup

GaGolfSup LawnSite Member

Thanks ICTBill I'll check it out.