Cost Effect of New Posting laws

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnboy53, Oct 31, 2001.

1. lawnboy53

lawnboy53 LawnSite Member
    from Neb

Guys, My state, Nebraska is considering passing very restictive new posting laws for applicators. Thes are some of what they want:
    1) Notify in writing all adjacent landowners before an application.
    2) Pre- post the property 48 hours in advance
    3) Post the property after the application.
    We have a chance to voice our opinions during a hearing next month. My question is are any of you currently under this kind of a posting situation and if so, what was the cost increase of your applications after these new requirements came into effect.
    I will be testifing and want to bring as much knowledge as I can to this hearing.

Thanks in advance
    Lawnboy53

2. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Craig,
    I'm going to try to forward your post to some folks who may be able to help.
    We had a similar challenge a few years ago here in CT. Instead of trying to fight it, we hired a professional lobyist to fight for a version of the law that we could live with.
    Posting the lawns are easy & everyone should do it. Cost to implement is negligable. <$1.00/Lawn
    Pre-post is absurd as is a blanket neighbor notification law. We've been fighting it in New York for a while now. The state passed a law that is so flawed, it won't enact it. The individual counties can adopt it (with the flaws), and some have. The cost to implement just neighbor notification (post card mailing at least 48hrs) has been estimated at $70.00 per client for first year (need to create data base, time to implement change, and paper & postage costs).
    What seems to work to everyones advantage is a state controlled "Central Pre-Notification Register". It allows those who want to be notified with a means to do so. They must install themselves in writing, every year. The registry is thrown away at the end of every year, then started over.
    Folks with a valid medical need (chemical hyper-sensitivity) can be placed on the list by their physician.
    You are then provided with a copy of the list every year and expected to make at least 1 telephone attemt to contact during reasonable hours of the day. In a 500 customer route, most often you encounter fewer than 10 call aheads. Pretty do-able.
    The point is to offer up a concession that allows the law-makers to think they have a win. Fighting them, often results in a scene where you have a serious burden on your hands/books.

Steve

3. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has been publising a pesticide hypersensitivity registry for as long (7 years) as I have been an certified applicator.

In the past any canary that got on the list stayed on the list forever. Now each canary must apply to be a canary every year.

As a commonwealth and not a commie state (i.e. CT, NY) PA is interested in getting every LCO licensed so they have the proper insurance and education to PROTECT the general public.

I feel no pity for those who live in these commie states. You people have elected these "officials" and they have made your bed therefore you must sleep in it.

4. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh Man ..... come on Stone, we can't all be red necks can we?
    Honestly, Fairfield County CT is the most blueblooded republican area in the world for petes sake. G Dubya's grandad Prescott Bush was raised right down the road from here in Greenwich. Dubya was born in New Haven & lived near Yale for a while. These most generous taxpayers in Greenwich float about 40% of the states operating revenue all by themselves. Belive me, they don't swing left.
    The problem seems to be all these liberal universities, they attract all sorts of liberal teachers who end up living here so they get to vote.
    Then you've got the innercity welfare crowds initially created by the very idustries that empowered the right via low wage employment opportunities. A real catch 22.
    It sure isn't any fault of mine. We've lived in this area since the 1600's and don't vote left, but today we're out numbered by the liberals.
    Maybe I should move out to the sticks with yall!

Keep fightin' the good fight!
    Steve