Cost Efficent Mower, WB or Rider

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TWUllc, Aug 31, 2005.

1. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

With gas prices sky-rocketing :realmad: , I am in the process/need of buying a new 52" mower. Should I opt for a WB or Rider. 17KAW(wb), or 23Kohler(rider) is what I'm considering. Obviously, more horsepower/weight = more gas, but how much more gas? I am perfectly content standing on a velke all day instead of sitting if need be. Is the difference in gas consumption that obvious? I've already got the models I want picked out, I'm just on the fense on this topic. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

2. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

I think it comes down to which engine uses more gas not which mower you need. I cant tell a difference in gas consumtion between my 5hp b&s on my kart and the 18hp b&s on my tractor and its always run at full throttle. Hope that helps.

3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

go with a 21" mower. real cheap.

kohler efi or diesel

4. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

a 52"/17 hp wb is your choice...if you are on budget and of course , gas is killing everybody, perhaps who knows we will run out of gas by mid Sept.
    With rider, it certainly will cost you like a 4 banger truck (12 gal twin tank) while a wb is just 5 gal fill-up.
    Mowing is not the problem if you have a twin hydro 52" wb with sulky, what will make you tired and exhausted is HEAT, and trimming, edging, blowing lawn by lawn, things that you can not skip or do on wheels that will exhaust you. I can do 10-20 lawn riding wb/sulky all day, let other guys do trimming and edging and blowing, it is not bothering me at all, but if you are solo doing everything yourself, a Z is a must in order to keep your productivity substantially high.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We noticed the increase gas usage as we go up on engine size. Get the WB and don't ride and save gas. These BIG blowers are also very very bad on fuel usage.

6. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually fuel is a small part of my expenses. If you can use a ztr on your properties then get one. As far as the blower thing, why would I want to spend twice the time to spend a couple of ounces of gas less, Heck I hear those brooms work on none.

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I am buying diesel ztrs because of the gas prices. Thank god I just bought my diesel truck.

8. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Diesel down here costs 2nd most expensive after 93 octane unleaded, it is not helping much. An eighty dollar each fill-up is pretty much in sight.

9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

yep may be so. But way better fuel econemy. Soon I will be running home made bio diesel. Yahoo. $0.70 a gallon to make.

10. cookedonphonics

cookedonphonics LawnSite Member

I'm going old school and switching back to reels with no motor. :eek: