cost efficent, rebuild or buy used?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sailinstud420, Sep 28, 2006.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

My shindaiwa eb630 blew up on me today. I took it apart and one of the rings apparently got caught in the intake side of the cylinder. it made a nice slice in the pistion skirt, and spewed metal chunks all over inside. The piston is lose on the connecting rod as well. My question is, how much would it cost in parts to rebuild? Assuming I need everything but a crank and a head? It is worth it or do I go find another one somewhere for sale? This one must have had about a million hours on it! R.I.P.

2. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

It depends on what the broken ring did to the rest of the engine. If the crank bearings look ok and you know all the ring pieces have been removed you can salvage the lower end. Is the cylinder in bad shape? Cylinders can be honed lightly and as long as the gouges don't go past the lining it's most likely usable. You can buy piston kits that come with the bearings, clips and sleeve. I would guess a piston kit is in the $65-90 range.

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Piston kit PN 68206-100 $78.67
    Cylinder PN 68206-12110 $90.00
    CylinderGasket PN 68206-12120 $3.80

So, AT LEAST $172.47 in just those 3 parts.

Are you repairing yourself or taking to a shop?

Sometimes.. you just gotta buy a new horse to ride.

4. sailinstud420

I think the bottom end is going to survive, I just need to dis assemble and clean it up. It slightly nicked the intake side of the cylinder, not not terrible. Who can hon cylinders, small engine repair shop? I didn't see a sleeve in there? What about connecting rod bearings/wristpin stuff? I need to take a closer look I guess. I am giong to call the dealer tomorrow. Ill try and post some pics too.

5. sailinstud420

hey where did you find those part #'s and prices?

6. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Hone the cylinder yourself with 180 grit plumbers tape and finish off with 600 emery cloth. Make sure you hone wet with WD-40, oil, diesel etc. Fine sand with the emery and soapy water. Post a few pics maybe we can help you decide if its salvageable.

7. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

The part numbers you can find on the Shindaiwa website under the "illustrated parts list" link. The prices.. you call your dealer.

8. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

if it was me, i'd buy a new one. if your machine has lots of use there is a good chance that once you get it fixed, unless you buy all new parts then something else is likely to fail.

9. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

I'm all for getting the most out of equipment especially larger, more expensive equipment like mowers and etc.

But with cheaper, smaller equipment (trimmers, blowers), if the repairs cost more than half of what a new piece of equipment is worth, I usually just pick up something new. At that point it's not worth spending the money to fix something that is more likely to give you more trouble down the road.

I do have a spare Husquavarna trimmer that is over 15 years old that runs fine and comes in handy when you need an extra trimmer. I will trash it when the motor totally craps the bed, though.

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

is there a short block for this engine ? if there is i would go that way. buying used you dont know what you are getting.