Cost for 30,000 sq ft of grass

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Rebs, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Rebs

Rebs LawnSite Member

what would be a good price for an irrigation system to cover 30,000 sq ft of grass? The quote I got said they would be using Hunter heads with 7 zones. How many heads do you have per zone on average?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

2. DGI

DGI LawnSite Member
    from SE Mich

What is the water source? How much did they quote? They didn't specify a head count?

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I need to know your meter size (or well), GPM and PSI.

4. DGI

DGI LawnSite Member
    from SE Mich

..and then we'll know the best case scenario, which has a potential multiplier of 3 or more depending on lots of other factors. Soil type? Slopes? How open? How will the grass look when they are done? Tolerance for overspray? And lots of other questions pertaining to dimensions of all areas to be watered.

5. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

There are a lot more things that are needed before a price can be given. Water source is one thing. But also need to know the layout of the property. What kind of hardscaping is there? Any major elevations?

A 30' x 1000' strip is a lot differnt to water than a 100' x 300' with a house, driveway, sidewalk, and maybe a pool.

A quick down and dirty (altho kinda unreliable) method is $110.00/rotor head. That will get you in the ballpark, but know the costs before you finalize the bid.

Jerry

6. sps2868

sps2868 LawnSite Member
    from ATL, GA

.26 to .30 a square foot --- that is the down and dirty estimate I would give to my landscapers. that would be $7800 to $9000..

But there are all sorts of factors, many of which have been mentioned above.

7. Rebs

Rebs LawnSite Member

This company told me $3975 for my yard. It is a open area of 30,000 sq ft. No trees or beds. He told me yesterday it would have 7 zones. I will call him on Monday and ask him how many heads per zone. He said he uses Hunter heads.

What other questions do I nedd to ask?

Thanks

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Thats incredibly cheap.

Do you know what your water source is? How many GPM, sandy,clay, rocky?

9. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Price shopping is a great thing to do. I would hope we all do it. BUT, I caution you about saving pennies to spend big dollars later. What questions to ask? Is the contractor reputable? What is the warranty? Does the reputation include quality service and reliable warranty service. You can get the best "deal" ever and it will cost you double your highest estimate before you see the end. If the contractor is new, price shop a little. If he is new, small and the most expensive......but if he is new, small and is competitive, how did you "feel" when he came out? Your paying up front for a relationship. Sprinkler systems in southern regions that don't need winterizing, see a much higher rate of use and therefore more service (and the service is even more important, because you NEED the system to WORK). If the system is in a northern climate, it needs to be winterized and started back up in the spring. I really don't like installs. I keep saying that when I hit that magic number for customers, installs are going to get VERY expensive :) Service rates probably won't change, but I can quit working so hard for so little profit on new systems.

A quick guess for 30,000'sq would be around 40 or 50 heads depending on water source/supply and layout. 40 heads on 7 zones, sounds like 4grand would be a very fair number, but I haven't seen the site. A large contractor could be 50% or more higher. If the layout is just right, 10-15% less could happen. If it is me and the timing is right, I might beat that bid. Then again, if things are 3-6 weeks out, I'm not going to even be close.

10. Rebs

Rebs LawnSite Member

Thanks Bic,

I am getting 2 other bids this week. But, know I know what to ask about and I need to call this guy on the first quote and get some answers. When you say source, what are exactly meaning? He said thay would tie into the water line going to the house. What should I be looking for here?

Should I ask for referals?

Thanks