Cost for granular sulfur?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PHS, May 25, 2008.

1. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

How much do you guys pay for a 50# bag of Disper-sul turf grade granular sulfur?

The closest Lesco branch is over an hour drive from me so I called them a couple days ago and the guy didn't give me an exact quote but said they were about $18/bag which sounded reasonable because a local supplier who's usually sky high on everything was about $25. So I asked my wife to pick up some bags while she was over there and to make sure they knew it was for my business. Needless to say I was a little surprised when they dinged me $30a bag!

I like the Lesco rep so if what they charged me is the going rate for them I'll just be a lot more careful about what I buy from them in the future. If they gouged me because my wife was there instead of me, then they've lost my business for good.

2. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

For the split pea 90% sulfur I come up with ball park $24. But they should not have quoted you "around $18" if they werent sure and then hit you with $30. Sound to me like your rep didn't have time to bother checking the price for you and I would be p-d about the mis-quote. Especially with that long of a drive.

3. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Turf, She was in the area for something else, I wouldn't have asked her to make that drive just for that :). If you're paying about $24-25 (I'm sure you're a higher volume buyer than I am) then at least I know he didn't gouge me and just didn't take the time to look up the price. At the same time it's this sort of thing that's why they've never earned more than a small amount of business from me. I'd like to use them more but I always feel like I can't trust them.

4. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

No problem.

I trust my service reps. I just alway check the prices against the competetion. Have to do that these days, with the buyout, fuel, and just the general volatility of the market.