1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cost for overseeding & aerating

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Goodero, Sep 17, 2009.

1. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

I would like to hear prices from someone that does 200+ aerations a season. I dont think their prices would be close to $250+. Like the one guy that said he gets $325 for a 1/4 acre you see he only does 4 a season.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

I've been getting 250-275 for 1/4 acres since 2005. I charge what Lawn Doctor and Truegreen charge and get it no problem. This is for aeration and seed.
  3. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Nope no seed straight aeration for the above price. I can't think of a time where I would just broadcast out seed after aerating, chances of that seed sprouting are pretty slim. I would rather sell a renovation pkg then, with aeration, seeding (either broadcast with topdress OR slit seeding), and st. fert.
  5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

If I was only going to aerate I'd probably charge them around half or less then what I charge with seed and fert.

CAROLINALAWNMAN1 LawnSite Member

Mow/dethatch/core aerate/fertilize/overseed....$41/1000sqft some minimums for small yards etc but this is the starting point for me.
  7. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

How many passes did you make? And how deep did you core? How much fertilizer did you apply?
  8. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

You know, something I've found out in the 10 years I've been doing this is that sometimes I give a bid and one customer will say, "Dang that's cheap." and the next customer, with almost the exact same job and type and size of property will say, "What?!!! That price is crazy high!" So I've learned to be somewhere in the middle on pricing. I still only get 1 out of 4 bids but at least I know I am probably near market value pricing. And I am taking jobs that are profitable without giving the perception of gouging to my customers.
    I just did a tilling job for a casual customer. A 30" strip of hard pack soil about 60' long. Made 2 passes to loosen to 10" deep along a fence. 20 minutes work including loading, unloading, loading again and cleanup of the tiller and put away. (I live close by.) I told them, after doing the work, that the charge was $30.00 + tax. The wife gave me a shocked look and said, "$30.00?". She then called for her husband, who was upstairs. I told her that this was my minimum and that it was a fair price. When her husband came down she said to him, "He only wants $30.00!". He asked if I was sure. I began wondering what the heck was the big deal. Well, it seems they got a quote from another guy, who couldn't do the job till the next day, and his bid was $150.00. I wish I had asked them what they were willing to pay before I did the job. :) I did leave with the feeling that I had earned a bit of respect and goodwill just by being fair. I made money and they got the job done. And they were very satisfied with the quality of my work too but it still bothers me a little that I left so much money on the table. I guess that's what I get for being honest. :drinkup:
    I can't say the other guy was dishonest but I guess that even if they had told me about the other guy beforehand, I still would have charged $30.00 + tax.
  9. RedMaple Lawns

RedMaple Lawns LawnSite Member

Here TruGreen charges $120.00 minimum @ 5,000 sq. ft. -- not even a 1/4 acre. Then $30.00 per 1,000 sq. ft. ... so there... if you can't work with that, then you shouldn't own a lawn care business! G'luck
  10. Please_Be_Green

Please_Be_Green LawnSite Member

And I'll be willing to bet you'll end up getting repeat business from this customer.

I offer the "customers" perspective to this board... I'm a reasonable person. I make good money. I'm willing to pay a premium to have a service offered, but please don't try to screw me. I'm looking to build relationships with people for the long haul. I think most people are in the same boat...

I have a tree guy, for 3 separate jobs, he always bid the lowest. Now, every other year, I don't go out to bid. I call him, say I need a trim, he comes out, speaks with the wife, provides the quote and the work is done sometimes that very day, sometimes the next... Professional group who has earned my respect and business.

My neighbors fert company... Does normal fert applications for $80. He inquires about ridding his yard of yellow nutsedge, they quote him $425.00. $425.00 for what? 20 minutes broadcast spread time and maybe $15.00 worth of Sedge hammer, or whatever herbicide they choose. Granted, maybe this is a special mix that needs to be created. Maybe there is an extra charge for preparing this mix and then cleaning the tanks after this mix... but $425 was sort of steep when they come to his property anyway for the normal fert for $80. Why my neighbor keeps this service... only he knows. His lawn looks like sh!t to boot.