1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cost for wall & patio walk

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by sally, Oct 2, 2007.

1. sally

sally LawnSite Member

Hi, I have retaining wall block already for a 3x50 foot wall, they are 80 pounds a piece each block. I was wondering what a good price woulod be for install since I have been told differnt amounts from 10 - 30 dollars a foot.

also I would like a stone walk way uses i guess u call call paito stone, 1-2 inch thick stone in different size & shape for a walk way. which I would like to be 4 feet wide & its about 100 feet long. was sure if its some i can do myself. I had some one tell me to use sand then some one else to me to used stone dust becasue it packs good & thats what they us for paver & not sand. I thought you were to use sand i saw on bob villa for paver & not the stone dust out of curiosity. than kyou sally:walking::usflag:
  2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Healthy range. What are the site conditions, excavation, base used etc... Pics would be nice. U give too little info for a rough estimate beyond 10-30 dollars.
  3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

as previosly mentioned, site conditions will play a role in how much someone will charge. wall pricing is usually around $30 a square-face-foot (150sff x $30 = $4500). However, you will need to bury the first course of block and you'll want to put a cap on it, otherwise you'll see the guts of the wall block and that would look dumb, so really if you want a wall 3', the first course will be buried 5" then stack 5 more courses on and glue your 4" cap on. This means you will need another $750 in cost ($30 x 25 sff).

if you have the capability to excavate 8" of soil 5' wide by 101' feet long, then backfill with 6" of roadbase (crusherrun) tamped with a vibratory plate compacter in 3" lifts, screed out 1" of sand (although lots of people in the northeast use limestone screening's, aka stone dust), then lay down your 1" flagstone (I'm assuming thats the material you were discribing), then go for it. otherwise leave it to a qualified hardscaper and expect to pay +/- $6000.

good luck, oh btw, what brand are the wall stone? Anchor Diamond?
  4. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I estimate by the day. 3 men at $900 a day for 3 days. $2700 for labor would cover my overhead. Add rental fees if applicable ( compactor, bobcat, etc. ). This is contingent on normal site conditions, and only for the wall. The walk you would get different results from different contractors, remember you get what you pay for. Grn Mtn's price sounds about right.
  5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I assume you are a homeowner, if so would you like an estimate? We are out of Vernon NJ but do a goodamount of work in Milford PA and the surrounding area, let me know.
  6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

For $10-$30/sq. face foot I wouldn't get out of my truck. Especially for residential work. Those block are probably Diamond Pro and will look terrible on a 3' wall. I know you probably have great intentions and either want to dive in and do it yourself or are looking for a rock bottom price. Whichever route you go, you will most likely regret it. Don't get me wrong, I have seen some decent HO jobs here, but they are few and far between. Hire a qualified, certified contractor and you will be much happier in the end.

7. sally

sally LawnSite Member

here are photos of the blocks & the area for them to go. I would like them to go against where the black top is. its about 60 feet long & i think there are 350 or a little more blocks. Behind it i was told I need support & was thinking about using 6 inch by 6 inch wide treated wood to make a box for plants I would liek that to be 3 feet deep & to be 3 feet high to match the wall of stone.
    thank you sally
  8. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I just can't figure out why you would want a wall there! A wall there just doesn't make sense.