Cost Of A Full Time Crew

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CelticGreens, Feb 22, 2005.

1. CelticGreens

CelticGreens LawnSite Member

hey guys, give me some help...

This year I want to fully manage the biz and send out a crew full time. I am still in college and also have Fire fighting academy at night. I cant commit to working full time. I wanted to hire 1 trust worthy guy and possibly 2 helpers. The trust worthy guy would be responsible for making sure everything gets done, reports to me, maintains hours worked and is the only driver of my truck. Ultimately he's my main man and is basically his own boss. Then ill hire two cheap laborers that are under his control. I have a friend that is willing to do it, but told me that his weekly bills add up to $350 and would need to be ensured that he would get that no matter what, rain or shine. I asked him what he wanted hourly.

he asked if $15 was too much. what should i pay him and the two helpers???

I was thinking $15 was a little high, but he has alot of responsibilities and I trust him completely. I was thinking maybe ensuring that he would get $350 a week, which is like 25 hours/week and then tell him that since im taking that liability, i can only give him 13.50 an hour above that.

THEN, i can give the two helpers $8 an hour, CASH. This would total, 13.50 + 8 + 8= about 30 an hour. Is this too high of a labor cost? does it sound right? I have paid for everything and have nothing on credit. I am assuming 40-50 hr weeks with about 75 lawns averaging around $30 a peice. PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!

2. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the crew foreman I've met make around the $15 range... One guy i met was making $23 an hour he managed a crew of 4...

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

You should be able to get 75 $30 lawns done in a week with only 2 guys. Unless you are in a really depressed market or you are underpriced.

As to the rest- I have no idea. For a crew leader, I don't think $15 hourly is too much though if he's good and experienced and responsible.

4. CelticGreens

so do you think 13.50 an hour is underappreciating him??? is it almost a def to safely say that no matter the conditions, he'll probly make enough to cover the 350 a week? and with 3 guys, how many lawns should i shoot for if 75 isn't enough? 90 plus??? is 8an hour cash for the helpers too little??

5. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Frankenscag. 2 guys should be able to handle 75, $30 lawns a week no problem.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I'd say go for it if thats what you have to do to keep your business alive and growing, but you are going to take a massive pay cut. The company may bring in 2250 a week but you may take home less than 600.00 dollars.

Plus you have tpo sale and bid all of the work, and don't have a major equipment break down!

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

$8 /hr is fine for a helper, IMHO. Don't know what 3 guys can handle as far as work... Never had a 3 man crew for mowing. For $30 lawns, it might be overcrowding... on our $30 lawns, a third person would definately get in the way. But it also has to do with how the lawns are laid out and what your equipment is. If you are using 36" mowers, yeah a third person would help. If you're using a 48", I don't think a third person would help, i think he'd get in the way. Unless there is a lot of trimming/edging/blowing work, I say leave guy #3 at home.

8. CelticGreens

i am still new to the business, have a 36" and a smaller one, will be purchasing a walker in the next 2 months. the way i figure, half the lawn, 36", the other little bits with the smaller mower (for the time being) and the third guy can unpack, edge, trim and blow, and then pack up/refuel. im taking a chance with taking on a third guy but i can see it as being more of a help then a financial burden.

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

And what about taxes, and WC????????

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

2 guys on a truck, no way 3, They will kill production. On bigger jobs I will send 2 trucks but never 3 to a truck on maintenance.
    One of my foreman is call a production manager. He is over all the trucks (maintenance) to make sure all the jobs get done and equipment is maintained. $15.00+
    Other foreman are at $13.00+
    Crew is $10.00 or less.
    Paying is easy---Finding a trustworthy worker that will stick with you can be a killer. By the way I am from NC. Your pay rate may be higher in NJ.