Cost of a Turf Tiger Drive Shaft

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Anyone know how much a Turf Tiger Drive shaft costs? I do!:blob4:

Bad wobble today, real bad, drive shaft was cobbed. The parts man handed me a new shaft, and told me it was $325! Hum, not much to it to cost that much. It was frozen on also, but managed to fight it off with much exersion and penatrateiing oil. The box said update, and a mechanic said they had problems with them as well. Guess who was not told about the update before the warentee went out. Seems kind of rotton to know you have a fautly product, and then stick your customer with the bill. Scag should cover this stuff as far as I am concerned. The mechanic also said that around the clutch on the frame, cracks often form. Oh boy, bet that will be cheap. Nice cracks on the welds under the motor anyhow, so why not. I am the only one who uses this beast, I work it hard but do not abuse it. I should not have hydro problems, and driveshaft failures with normal use. I only have about 750 hours on her. Maybe I am asking to much.

Oh, I heard that Gravely has full two year warrentees on their commercial stuff. Is there any other company with a two year commercial warrentee?

Hate to be a complainer, but this stuff is hurtin me bad.

Take care
    Jay

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Thats about how much John Deere charged for my "many" deck drive shafts for my F-935. The splines would always wear out and wobble. It was greased every morning.

3. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I used to be a big Scag fan ,now the only thing I like about them is my dealer....I hope someday he get the DC line .......I think a simple mower seems much better with fewer problems...Hey have you replaced the electric clutch on that yet?...everyone around here has.....

4. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Eggy, how much is the clutch? I figer about 5,000 dollars. :) Mine has not been replaced yet, I actually thought that is what the problem was. Had a bolt missing out of her, I figure it is only a matter of time before it goes. I am intrested in the cost if you remember. I like my dealer too, but do not know how long I can wait with the money pit. I was fearful the gear box was toast with all the wobbling. If I had an exmark, or chopper, I would not have a driveshaft to fail.

Jay

5. eggy

To be honest mine got covered under warranty...however a freind of mine just had his replaced out of warranty and I do belive he said it was around $350.00 What is funny is that with the Scag bagger you get a "heavy duty electric clutch" showing that they are aware the ones out there are junk....Thay had a drive shaft recall like you said (or did you) this winter.......some I guess didnt get heat treated......I do really like my dealer however I would like to run doubles all the time...I ran them for a while and could just tell...(yes I dont know how) That I would burn the electric clutch out quick.....I would like a stripping kit...emailed scag where to find one ..no response......Like I said scag should be kissing my dealers butt for his work in keeping thismcustomer with there product.....

6. Shady Brook

from Indiana

The mechanic mentioned the recall in an off hand way. Nice I was told by scag, and or my dealer. :angry: I think everything on the Tiger is 300 or more, so that sounds about right for the clutch. Do they use these same clutches on other riders like exmark, or Dixie? I have run doubles some also, but I too can tell that this is straining the clutch. It is just to much for it. Hey, where are you located eggy?
    Jay

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

8. eggy

In Seymour, I noticed you are in Indiana also, Scag is very popular ere really for the dealer I belive then for the performance. The dixie chopper is a manual clutch from the info I gathered, also they allow you to run double blades, offer a stripping kit, and have a handy discharge, but boy they are a ugly mower, Does your Scag leave a lot of stringers????? I notice a few blades of grass here and there it tends to leave even with the sharpest blades. I went to look at adding a 48 inch tiger cub too, however was informed that the tiger cub will be completly redone this winter for a new model, because this years was well, awful. I got to give my dealer credit he does watch out for us, but I just wish he carried a different line also.

9. Shady Brook

from Indiana

The exmark literature I have says it is 1 year entire product, 2 year drive system and engine, and 3 year spindle. Is that still true, or is it now 2 years entire product?

My Tiger does leave some stringers. Certain conditions it cuts nice, others, well not so good. I heard the Cub is better then the Tiger in a sense, because it does not have a drive shaft that drives the blades. I would not doubt they have other problems.

Eggy, were you notified by Scag or someone about a recall on the driveshaft? If there was a true recall, and I was not informed, I need to be reembuirsed I think.

I live way north of you eggy, I have a buddy who lives down in Mitchell. I think that is probably fairly near ya.

Thanks for all your help.

Jay

10. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

The clutch in question was misapplied. If the correct clutch is used there will be no issue. I guess the new clutch on the new Gravely WB's should be called "heavy duty gorrilla tough" because I have a letter supporting the application for a 2 full year warranty.

Not dotting & crossing costs everyone money.

Scag seems to have been in a hurry lately.

Barry
    Gravely / Ariens Guy
    (Just down the road from Metalcraft aka mayville metal products aka Scag)