Cost of cleaning gutters

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Brian B, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Brian B

Brian B LawnSite Senior Member

A woman asked me today about the price of cleaning her gutters and i had no idea. i was guessing about $45-$50. i told her that i would get back to her about an estimate in a day or so. any help would be appreciated. thank you
  2. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

good question..i am also interested in are you going to be doing it.

i think a hose would be best..but then u would have to use their hose..unless u want to blow it all out and then clean it up..that would take more time...but then again more time means more money...
  3. Brian B

i think that i would most likely just scoop it out by hand and then set a bucket at the downspout and wash it all out into the bucket. i would put on latex gloves then put on heavy work gloves over them to keep my hands from getting cut on the shingles. most definetley not blowing it out because that means you have to clean it up sometime and that drives me crazy having to do stuff then clean it up afterwards.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

A gutter cleaning company here advertises $35-$75...don't know if they have one where you are. I would be inclined to just have the customer call someone else :laugh:

We did some gutters at my old job, usually $75-$100. Remember you're up in the air with much greater risk of injury...make sure it's worth your time. We had one guy fall off a roof and break his pelvis...if you're solo and break your pelvis you still won't be ready to mow by springtime...maybe by mid-summer. Just something to think about. This wasn't a steep roof either just one of those accidents that happen...
  5. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

Find out from your insurance company if you are insured enough to do this. It will probably require more insurance and safety gear. The expense may make it not worth it. Like Hoolie says, a solo will be in a world of hurt.
  6. Brian B

the only problem is i am trying to get my name out there and i really dont want to get any bad word of mouth just starting out. i have cleaned many gutters before but never really knew how much was paid for it. it was just in my hourly pay. lol. i really dont have any problem doing it.
  7. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

if your solo and your serious about your biz, then you must always consider the fact,whether it is work or PLAY...what if i cant work? consider that,even if you have insurance, somebodys got to get the job you committed to done. be careful!

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

For a solo guy it's just too risky (for me anyway). I wouldn't worry about getting my name out there unless you are a gutter company. Myself I really don't have a problem getting up on a lot of roofs but if you are solo it's not worth the risk to do a few gutter jobs.

I remember the guy that broke his pelvis, it was the day after Christmas. He was walking by April but not medically cleared to do work, wasn't until maybe June or even July that he was able to get back to work.
  9. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

10. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah,right.I wish. ;) I base it on how dirty they are. I take a hand full of large lawn bags on the roof and just scoop them out into the bag.Drop the full bag,tiedup of course to the ground.It usually takes less than an hour. You can figure your rate from there.