Cost of Establishing Perennial Peanuts ?????

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Ric, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I have done some research and found Herbicide & Fertilizers etc. But I also found the High cost of buying Plugs.

Math: It takes Approx just short of 20,000 plugs at 18 inches spacing a little over a year to grow in. I am told planting a just at the start of Rainy season in June you should have a mature stand by Sept of the following year. Or a 15 month grow in if planted at the perfect window.

Current Price of plugs is $ 0.50 or acre cost of $ 10,000. Maybe a contract grow you could buy them for $ 0.25 or $ 5,000 per acre. Then there is the labor and other installation costs.

Sprigeingis an other method of establishing ground covered. So my question is there any Sprige suppliers of Perennial Peanuts? Or do I try and find a farmer and talk him into cutting Peanut hay and plant it Fresh over tilled soil.

2. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I know where there are several lawns of it, just to the west of the Peace river off Masters Road in Desoto County. Could it be mowed and bagged and used to start a new lawn ?

3. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Give John @ Dee Oaks a call, he says he may know some one over in Lake Placid that could contract grow for you. 863-494-3444, cell 941-380-1110.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Allen

Thanks but unlike Bermuda it is the under ground Rhizomes that must be spriged in order to propagate. Those rhizomes must be plowed out of the ground in order to replant. Hey if you were talking an Exotic Bermuda and I had a market, I would take you up on the offer.

In the Heavy rain of today I did a lot of researching and think I might of found a Source just south of Tampa that can supply the Ecoturf Perennial Peanut Rhizomes for sprigging. I am waiting for a E mail with Prices now. Actually I send the guy a Satellite picture of the property to give me a turn key bid. I really don't want to get involved with doing the job. One major problem is the shelve life of the Rhizomes in June when the rainy season is best for grow ins.

BTW John & Dee are great people. I will give them a call in the morning.

5. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Ric,

Your estimated cost appear to be about correct according to this document.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep135

I would suggest contacting the City of Oviedo and Winter Springs and looking into what methods they are using to establish as they have both started taking roadway medians to it, maybe they could share their supplier info with you? Just a thought.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Mikey

My Customer is a Computer programmer and former College Professor who researched this long before I got involved. Maybe I should of said that in my first post. But the information I am seeking doesn't appear to be on university websites. Hopefully I know people who know people who can either do the job or know someone who can help.

Up date:

I am still waiting on a Turn Key bid but I have gotten Planting material cost down to $ 1500 and acre by using the Rhizome sprigging method. But more important is the fact it is only a 2 hour drive away. This guy is in Ruskin Fla Near Tampa and also does Bermuda sprigging. Therefore I am beginning to see a Economic solution to my customer's problem.

7. Landscape Poet

Ric,

Was just trying to help. Keep us updated on how this turns out. I actually just had someone else mention this as a ground cover to me for a property and am interested in your findings as at first glance I was taken back by the cost too.

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Mikey

There are some thing I don't need help on. Searching the net is one of those things.

9. Landscape Poet

Ric,

I am proud that age 70 you know how to use "the google machine". :laugh: The internet is something a lot of older folks just do not have a interest in.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Mikey

I know you are a AOL expert but Google "Usenet". I was on the Internet before there were website and web based forums. BTW Usenet is where all the smart are, If you can figure out how to access it, maybe you can go there too. Usenet is called the Dark side of the Internet and where the real Hackers hang out.