Cost of Extra Services

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Barry D, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Barry D

Barry D LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

My first year was part time and with just 7 residential customers. This is my 2nd year and I would like to go full time. I need some help with prices of extra services such as mulch, trimming hedges, detaching, and other services that I can add to my list. This will help me pick up new customers in the spring.

I will be sending out postcards this year using an direct mailer service and would like to show some of the services that I offer.

Last year I help a friend lay 26 pallets of sod in his yard. This was hard on the back but seems like it could be a money maker. What do you charge per pallet of sod?
  2. KirbyKLC

KirbyKLC LawnSite Member

Our sod here is 400 sq. ft per pallet, I charge $135 per pallet installed. My cost is approx $60/pallet.

Mulch is $45 to $55 per yard installed depending on site conditions.

All other services are charged per hour. Estimate the time that a particular job will take and charge accordingly. My minimum base charge starts at $42/hr, depending on what equipment, conditions, etc.

P.S. you're right laying sod is very hard work. Especially if you do it correctly with ground preparation, etc. BTW the $135/pallet does not include ground prep.