Cost of Labor on Sod installment

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Miguel Perez, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Miguel Perez

Miguel Perez LawnSite Member

How much should i charge if the homeowner buys the sod? All i would have to do is take up the old grass and lay down the new. How much would you charge for dispose of the old grass

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

How big of an area are you talking about?

3. Miguel Perez

The job would be around 1,200 sq ft of St. Augustin grass.

4. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

I don't let my customers buy material. Also, even if thry buy it, they are going to pay retail. I get a least 15% off. And re sell at tretail. It costs them the same in the long run, and they don't have to organized delivery etc.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I would NOT do the job. He is trying to be the "big boss man" by cutting you out of profit and make you his hourly lawn-boy because he already knows that to get a real company to do it will cost him real money. Give him a price with the total job only. I would bid it at around $1,200-$1,400.

Think like an owner, not an employee.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

65Hoss has it right on at between 1200 to 1400.and I also would not do it with the owner providing the materials

7. Miguel Perez

So if I buy the supplies, how much should i charge for getting the yard ready.
    Then how much should i charge for laying down the sod. What is a good delivery charge. Should i charge for disposes of the old grass. This is my first sod job any info would be nice.

8. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

My price would be 1200 if the access is OK

the estimate would look like this

Re sod lawn, supply all material and remove all waste. $1200.00 end of story.

Iy you start with

sod xxx
    Deliv xxx
    Soil xxx

He can start to shop prices and pick at you.

When was the last time anyone saw a lawyer send a bill that was broken down.

It is administrative etc, but not, cal joe xxx, load paper xxx, you get the point.

Just bid a price. If he wants cheap, he will find cheap.

9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

my price for sod (floratam) delivered, and installed is $275 per pallet. 3 pallets would be $825.

killing whatever is there
    ground prep, tilling, raking grading
    a shot of K to help with root development
    after 30 days, a chinchbug pretreat

All those are separate.

I charge $100 per man hour on soil prep (2 hour minimum)
    $90 for chinchbug treatment
    $150 plus for rounding up the weeds currently there
    $90 for application of hi K for roots

so $825 for sod
    $150 for chemical kill
    $200-300 for tilling, raking, ground loosening
    $90 for K
    $90 for chinchbug pretreat after 30 days

$1355 to $1455

I would list out the things that are gonna be done and give a job price. If he wants certain things removed, tell him you can skip that item (chinchbug treatment for example) but the price remains the same.

my answer to him buying the sod is, I don't know where you are getting it from, nor do I know the quality of the sod. So, I don't want my name associated with something that may not work based on an unknown source of material.

Additionally, the sod I buy comes from a small sod farm that does not pasture animals on it and is much better quality and locally grown. Not to mention cut the same day I install it. Often within 3-4 hours of it going down in their yard.

My price is the same if they buy the sod or if I do.

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

So looks like most of us are in agreement and real close on prices.

What this tells me is this...everyone that has posted for you has real accounting and business numbers. Thinking like owners. Now run with it young grasshopper.