Cost of operating mower per hour?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Soupy, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Can the guys at Exmark come up with some figures as to the cost per hour to run some of the mowers? I would be interested in the 52" Lzer HP and Lazer Z.

I also think this should be something listed in the manuals of all manufacturer. Appliance do it. Anyway when we buy a mower we don't always know the life expectancy. By the way what is the life expectancy, so can you please post this info too.

Basically if the manufacturers would do this it would help a lot of people know their cost of operating.

Cost of equipment + cost of parts to upkeep + fuel /divided by equipment expected life hours. I would also like to know the average fuel consumption per hour then we can adjust the gas figure by different gas prices.

I'm sure you guys already have these figures somewhere. Can you please post them for the public to see.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Soupy,

That's something we've bounced around a few times. The problem is that it's impossible to even estimate fuel usage. Outside of that youÂ’re looking at a quart of Mobil 1 and a filter for the hydros as well as an air filter annually. Throw in an oil filter and oil every 50 -100 hours and maybe a 1/2 to a tube of grease per year and that's about it. Granted we recommend swapping out belts annually but most people probably don't. We've eliminated so many maintenance points or reduced the frequency of lubrication on many of the units to a point where the cost of grease is almost negligible.

Your fuel cost like I said is almost impossible to estimate. Most engines don't really use that much fuel until they hit wide open throttle. Once any engine is at full load they all consume much greater amounts of fuel than normally. That's why often a larger engine under moderate load will often use less fuel than a smaller engine under a heavy load.

I'll see if I can put something together that makes sense.

Thanks

Terry

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The other issue I see is that everyone operates and maintains differently. Some people are very hard on equipment, and some treat them like show cars. An appliance gets plugged into a wall and never moves. Its easy to determine what should happen. A piece of equipment that is run in hard conditions with different operators. No real way to give a good assumption to how long it will last. When people see numbers from a mfg, they take that as gospel. If eXmark says the mower should be productive for 2500 hours and you only get 1900 hours you can blame the mfg. Its a no-win situation in my viewpoint.

4. Soupy

True.... I was just wanting estimated #'s on recomended maintenance schedule and life excpectancy. It can be done and at least new owners would have something to base the first year on. I would recomend people at a fudge factor to any first year #'s. If we waited untill the mower was finish producing to find out how much it cost us then we would never have an expence to factor in.

I don't own an exmark, but plan on buying one soon. These #'s would be beneficial to me regardless if they have a % of unaccurency.

What is the life expectency of a maintained 23/52 Lazer HP?

65hoss, the #'s listed on an applience is estimated. There are factors that make one person get different results then another so I don't see the difference.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I haven't heard anything about the actual cost of the mower itself.
    Mowers have to be paid for by someone..........preferably not the owner.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I am expecting my 23/52" HP to get 3000 useful hours. Repairs along the way, sure, but useful to at least 3000.

Most appliances are taken inside houses and plugged in. Some exceptions of course. A mower is put in the most extreme harsh enviroments daily. Dust is a major machine killer. You have water, holes, rough terrain, employees that didn't pay for it, extreme hot in summer and very cold in winter, grass, leaves, and the unexpected item you didn't see in the grass or leaves.

Anyway, based on 2 52" HP lazers I can say if you maintain them just pretty good you can get 2000 hours from it. Maintain it extremely well...I will let you know because I would like to see 3000 on this machine.

7. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Well..........I send in the checks but my customers pay for them..........

8. Soupy

reread my post, it is there. I mentioned that we need to take the cost of the equipment (MSRP) + routine maintenance + fuel usage and divide that by the life hours of the machine. Well we need to add the life hours to get the recommended amount of filters, belts, etc. The fuel usage can be done separately as just an hourly cost, no matter what.

I'm not asking for the manufacturers to right in stone that this is the true cost. I think a fair average would be good for the new guy. It is funny how manufacture will make bragging statements about how many acres an hour they can mow etc.

You can list it as an example and show how the figure is obtained so a new guy can figure out his own number.

My goal is to let new guys know that this cost needs to be added to the price of service. It would also be nice to know what you are buying, but that seems to be a big secret these days.

Some manufacturers have outrageous prices for general maintenance parts etc that I am sure they don't want anyone knowing about up front. The after market distributors are keeping them somewhat honest on this though.