1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cost of Parts

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by D&V, Jun 1, 2003.

1. D&V

D&V LawnSite Member

I was wondering how to start figuring out pricing when there are so many different prices that distributers will give you. I am starting to figure out install pricing, and am not sure what the costs for my products are. Will the distributer print you out what your costs are, or how do you guys figure what your costs on jobs are? Thanks for the help.
  2. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I maybe doing this wrong. But when I make the first visit to a give a price I automatically start thinking of what my materials will cost. Here in my area $800.00-$1,000.00 per install. Then I will get 2.5 - 3 times cost of materials. I don't want to spend a lot of time pricing a job maybe 30 minutes -1 hour. I prefer the 30 minutes. Plus I only do about 4-10 installs a year. That is about 4 tom many.

So to help with your answer . Get your supplier to give you a price on the valves, rotors, spray heads, valve boxes, controllers, etc. Then you will have those prices with you.
  3. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I "unitize my prices" for on the job pricing of installs. Meaning The controller includes the rain switch. A rotor head includes 35 ft of pipe, saddle T, swing pipe assy. Valve plus, valve box, water proof wire connectors (more than 2), 40 ft main, 50 ft wire, T for main, and one line size fitting after main, etc. Add tax for unit and labor to install each and BAM, you've got yourself a quote. I do not mark up materials in installation but prefer to generate my profit off the labor. Install pricing stinks here so I don't do many anymore and use them for time fillers when I sell one.
  4. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

I cant beleive with it your expirence you should be able to sell Ice water to eskimos.

Is the install market really that cut throat in N.J. or have you just been accustomed to the repair, troubleshoot, technician game.

I am just starting to realize the repair business is lucrative. But you gotta know 10 years worth of the trade to pull it off...
  5. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I would rather do 15 repairs with my 1 helper then then do 2 installs. Less headaches just as much or even more money then those installs. I love to get a serevice call with a lost valve and a line locator want work. Then you have to find the valve the old way. :D For me the harder the better.
  6. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Bruce, Materials at MY cost plus labor @$45/hr on installs makes me "high priced". It's nothing to be $800-$1,000 over the competition on a 3-4K job. Some are less difference some are more.

By my best guestimates of labor hours which I've come to beleive are pretty close talking to folks on this forum, I think a lot of this stuff is going in the ground for $22-$30/hr plus materials at ZERO mark up.

I see a lot of stuff that becasue of my "unitized prices" on materials I guesstimate are going in at 2-2.5x cost of materials. And those materials may not be well calculated either.

With something as labor intensive as irrigation installs are you can't be viable having materials eat 40-50% of the sales dollar.

In irrigation it could take 5-6 man days to install $1,000-$1,200 worth of materials. In a landscape install you plant that many dollars of stuff in a day with 1 or 2 men easy.

But they same people buying cheap have NO problem having a repair done for $60/hr and a mark up on material.

I'm thinking overall install sales to material ratio should be about 3.5-4 times materials as an approximation.