Cost on slitseeding large areas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Premo Services, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I am working on a bid for slit seeding and aeration of an area around 50,000 s/f.
    I have not done something this large before, and I am trying to figure some price out. The area has some bare spots, but most of it has some fescue growing. I would think it would need to be seeded at the higest rate of 6-8 pounds seed per s/f, with tall feacue mix. When you bid on larger areas of slitseeding, do you lower the price at all?
    I may include an aeration on the whole place, which is around 239,000 s/f.
    Any insite on this would be appreciated. It sounds like a good job to bid on but having some trouble with pricing it.

2. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

Sorry brother we dont do any seeding down here ,but let me get this right you put 6-8lbs of seed on a square foot , If that s the case yout gonna need a semi truck full of seed . Like I said I dont know but am interested!

3. Premo Services

You are right that would be a lot of seed, should say 6-8 pounds seed per 1000 s/f. Just got a litle confused and forgot to put 1000 sf. :dizzy:

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

$45 per 1000 sq ft. slit seeding only. dont know about the aeration

5. tailoredlook

tailoredlook LawnSite Member

$40 per 1000sf slitseed $75 per 10000sf aeration if that helps.

6. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm gonna do an athletic field with nothing in the way. About 56K for $1,050. Multipass core aeration and broadcast seed. Existing cover is pretty good, no major dead areas. About a 1/2 days work and $300+/- in seed.

I've cut down on my amount of slit seeding because the production is slower to do and clean up. Most jobs now we just mulch mow afterwards and sell them that way. Effective and less expensive.

7. Premo Services

What does that mean? You mulch the mess of the slit seeder and leave it?
    Wlll it be a mess if there is thin cover of grass?

8. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, I mean mow it up just like you would a lawn you were not going to collect clipings from.

9. Premo Services

THANKX
    ;)

10. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

I'm sorry but I still don't get it. "Most jobs now we just mulch mow afterwards and sell them that way. " What do you mean by mulch? Are you spreading a mulch, seeding and mowing to mix and spread? I hate to seem dense, but it's got me cornfused. refering to post above yours, you don't mean you aereate, seed, mow over the plugs to scatter dirt, do you?