Cost per 1000sq. ft for fert

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by All Season Lawn Care, Mar 16, 2008.

1. All Season Lawn Care

All Season Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I've searched the threads didnt really find what i was looking for....so here it goes, how much are you guys charging for granular fert. per 1000sq.ft or do you charge x amount up to a certain square footage?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You have a pm.

3. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

here is the answer to all the answers to be posted, numerically with no one being most important
    1. know your cost/1000
    2. cost will vary by region
    3. cost will vary by quantity purchased
    4. cannot just do cost/1000, what if you had a yard that was 7000sqft you have to have a minimum stop charge then maybe factor in your cost per thousand, up to a certain size then switch 100% to cost per thousand
    5. Here's an example of the prices that I know of in this state, $2.85/1000 to $7.50/1000
    I try to get somewhere in between them

4. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

All season Lawn Care

What pinto said was exactly true it is a combination of his four points and a couple of extra things that we do with our company.

We are in Kansas City MO and we have a charge of $70 up to the first 15K sq ft. but for us we get our products for fert plus dimension at $16 a 50lb bag to $13 for straight 46-0-0 winterizer. I take the factors above and factor in that I want while doing to cover costs/maintenance of equipment/insurnace I have to make $75 an hour. So I also take into effect how long I believe a job will take me. Hope that helps.

5. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

I have to price the same way cod8825 does with an hourly of at least $70-75 hr min, in order to cover costs with about the same square footage as he uses. Don't under sell yourself as it cost allot to do what we do between lisc/insurance/fuel ect. Even with the a 7% increase this year it is still not going to cover the $4.10 gallon for dsl we are now paying here in RI. What are going to do.....

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The fuel is gong to get alot worse. We have raised our stop fee 10% this year, and figure that still leaves us some room for a surcharge later in the season if necessary. Our rate prices have increased, as well. I am at an approx. 17% increase over last years prices (for fert. aps, not stop fee).

7. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

We charge at least $5.20 per 1k upto 35k, then it goes down a little

8. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

you also need to take into account how much nitrogen you need. a bag of 36-0-0 would go a lot further than a bag of 16-4-8. Then you add the extras like pre, micro nutrients,..etc. Other factors are lawn size, ride on or push spreader, ...etc.

The best way is to figure your cost per 1000 and go from there. It is all trial and error. The more you do the more your prices will change.

9. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

if you are starting out figure your material costs for the application. Add what you need to make for profit and overhead. The bottom line is that if you need to make say $50.00 per hour every day you work it wouldnt make sense to do a job for less just because thats how it worked out based on sq ft pricing. good luck