1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cost Per Acre - Large Church Complex

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by klcArk, May 5, 2007.

1. klcArk

klcArk LawnSite Member

What would you all charge for mowing a wide open acre that is well maintained? I have the opportunity to bid a large church complex that is about 14 acres. Most of it is open. There is a 2 acre parcel with a pavillion and nothing else. Another 2 acre parcel with an old farm house, shed, garage and old barn. The remaining 10 acres has a large church, parsonage, parish hall and parking area.

Its the wide open mowing that has me frustrated at the moment. Like I said, its all well maintained by a very large local company and this is something that I want. Not to lowball but to be very competitive with. What would you charge to mow for 1 acre wide open space and would that cost go down if it were 6 acres?
  2. Elite Lawn Care

Elite Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Consider two things:
    1. How much is your time worth and equipment cost to run?
    2. how long will it take you?

Then consider your price and tack on another 10%. then think about it for a few days. Then ask yourself, "do I really want to do it?"
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

So, 14 acres is the whole complex??? Building, parking lot, everything??

If that's the case, even if not, you're probably looking at about $100 / cut. Even if you were to cut the whole 14 acres, you'd probably be looking at a charge of somewhere between $250 and $300 / cut.
  4. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

Kind of depends on how bad you want the account and If you have the equipment for the job.
    Ill tell you a bid I made and lost that sounds very similar. It was a old orphanage now a child care facility 1 1/2 blocks deep, and 4 blocks wide. estimating 15 acres. Lot s grass 3 building and a circle drive. There was paying $250 a mow. I bid $200 and lost it to a guy that bid $150 per mow.

I kind of wanted the work, its close and I just got a new bigger behind so I figured with my equipment I could mow this in about 4 hours top. The guy that got the bid has 2 bob cats 60" and I'm guessing its taking him 2 men 6 or 8 hours.

Evey part of the country prices of large acreage very greatly so don't think this is what you should charge. But you really need the big equipment to make money on big acreage. My 10' cut unit is the only way I can compete with the low ballers. But I still don't get all I bid.
    Plus remember most commercial accounts will send you a 10-99 on this income so be repaired to hold out money for taxes if you get the account.
  5. klcArk

klcArk LawnSite Member

What I was thinking, and this is a whole lot more than what you guys have said so far was $40/acre in the open and $60/acre for everything that will need edging and trimming. There is a whole lot of edging and trimming for the parking area, pavillion, hall, church etc...

Anyone think this would be out of line?
  6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Let us know how it turns out.

My bet is that you'll be about double of what it's being done for.
  7. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

go with the $40/$60 .. thats alot of grass. unless you want it really bad. but ask yourself do u really want to be working for tiny$/hr?
  8. klcArk

klcArk LawnSite Member

Hey, I asked because I wanted input on how to do something this large correctly. I do want this property - so anything you care to share that will help - please do.
  9. klcArk

klcArk LawnSite Member

What do you charge per acre and how does that affect your bottom line?
  10. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Id charge 250 - 300 per cut. It isn't worth running my equipment for anything under those prices for doing 15 acres...