1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cost per acre

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jsfrk, Sep 13, 2004.

1. jsfrk

jsfrk LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Why does an acre cost to mow in the midwest regions or specifically in ohio?
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Going price to have it done or what are the fixed + variable costs to you or what? Costs will include your overhead Fuel, insurance, labor costs, dump fees, maintenance etc. I think you might have to clarify so someone can give you a better idea of what prices are in the area.
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Percentage of time to mow, cost of equipment used, cost of supplies used i.e. gas, oil etc, cost of labor, cost of office supplies and insurance. licenses. etc divided by 1 Acre
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

About $1,000,000. I'd have to drive from MN each time. Gotta get that drive time and tolls through IL and IN.
  5. RjCjR

RjCjR LawnSite Member

I'm as low as $75 and as high as $119 for an acre
  6. fairwayCuts

fairwayCuts LawnSite Member

I just started up a new account recently and she has got close to 4 acres. I charge her $200 for the full lot. Every other week I only cut about 1/3 of the total lot and charge her $100. It takes me about 5hrs, I'm using a 36" WB, so it's not great money right now but when I get a good ztr it'll be alot better. By the way, I didn't set these prices, she wasn't happy with her last lco and that was what they were charging her and it seemed like a fair price.
  7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope you at least have a Velke.

The customer must be happy because I have a GS30 and the cut quality is great.

But for god sakes get a rider. Lesco is blowing out 60" mowers (aka MTD)...not badly built, for $5999.

We have a 4 acre yard and I use Gravely 260Z machines. 1 72" Gravely, 1 60" Gravely, 1 man on weed-eater, total time 45 minutes.

Why drive when you can fly?

8. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

[B]"By the way, I didn't set these prices, she wasn't happy with her last lco and that was what they were charging her and it seemed like a fair price."[/B]

What are you basing your bidding on???? THE OTHER GUYS (ALLEGED by the CUSTOMER) PRICE????? :dizzy:

What if he based his on the price of the guy before....and so on????? :dizzy: :dizzy:

How are you going to determine if you can AFFORD to buy a new ZTR??? "Everyone else is doing it, so I must be able to afford it."????? :help:

You need to KNOW your numbers!!! Also, what are your opportunity costs? Could you get and do 10 small residentials for $25 each in that same 5 hours? Then you could make $250 instead of $200!

Not meaning to "pick" on anyone. Just point out the possible PITFALL of this situation!

9. fairwayCuts

Hey a velke or any sulky for that matter would be great, but I don't have one right now. I've been looking into getting a proslide, probably take a look at a few different kinds at the Louisville EXPO. But for now just a lot of sweat and hard work!
    As far as buying a rider, I've also been looking at that but I just don't think I've got the cash payup for one of those now. I think I'll first get the sulky and spend a few hundred and ride it out for another season or until I get a full load of accts.
  10. fairwayCuts

I had originally turned the job down because I figured she would not want to pay me a price for the amount of time it would take me. After I thought about it for a couple of days I called her back and spoke with her again, I asked what she was being charged now and she told me the price. I just never thought she would have paid $200 to have her lot cut. With the $200 I'm still making about $35 an hour, which is usually what I aim for, and then when I do have the capital or am in a better situation to buy a ztr I'll be making 2 or three times that an hour. So did I bid just based on the other guys price, no not at all, but after I heard their price it seemed to be in line with what I was going to charge her.

As far as opportunity cost, right now I don't have a full load at all so if I was able to add 10 residentials at $25 I could still do that and would love it. I'm just getting started in the business and feel I'm doing pretty good.
    Granted I could probably learn a few things, well a lot of things, but that's why I'm on this site. You guys have been extremely helpful :D and I appreciate it.