cost per foot to dig a trench

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jrumbaug, Aug 2, 2008.

1. LEARY's LAW.........

2. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

They left out a soil type. Solid rock.

What would you have to say about a 22" wide ditch for one 1 1/4" pipe? :D Cleveland Model 110 modified for S. Florida use digging at 100 ft per hour 24" deep and 22" wide. :weightlifter:

3. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a Tim Allen machine.

Limestone the rock you referring to?

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

How true. If forced to "stack", at least separate the pipes with some scrap PVC whenever possible.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I assume your in jest, but if not, parent material is not a soil and therefore not included in the soil textural triangle.

6. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

To create soil here, you first must break up the rock. When you get it broken up, you have large rock, small rock, a little bit of clay, and a whole batch of calcium carbonate. The clay comes from pockets in the rock but overall amounts to less than 1% of the soil make up. Think about living on a coral atoll. That's what it is like here. Coral rock is 1/5th porus so it only takes a D-8 with carbide teeth on a plow 24" wide to break up the top 6".

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

For your reference.

Keys to Soil Taxonomy, Tenth Edition (2006)

8. HooKooDooKu

HooKooDooKu LawnSite Member

Now machine digging is a whole nother issue. When your digging 24" deep and moving at 100 ft per hour... your allowed a little leeway is the width of your trench.

9. HooKooDooKu

HooKooDooKu LawnSite Member

Yes, I'm taking a calculated risk. But as a home owner on a DIY job, digging was a major task (wanted to minimize that).

This was lateral lines, Sch 40 PVC, all joints carefully glued/welded, city water at 70 PSI, screened back-fill, 12" depth minimum in the deep south.

I figure the only way one of these pipes is going to break is extreme soil shift or root infiltration (so yes, I'm gambling that here were no major manufacture defects). I tried to line the trench with vinyl siding when ever the trench went near a tree (should at least keep root out of getting between pipes).

10. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

And y'all talk bad about Florida irrigators?