Cost per head include plumbing to house exterior?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by scott's turf, Aug 7, 2006.

1. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

When professionals quote (for example $100/head) a system does that include having a licensed plumber install the backflow or is that paid by the customer as an extra?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Plumbing is always extra, so far as I'm concerned. It's different for every job.

3. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

thanks. anyone else? Does the contractor tell the plumber which back flow to put in? What does this plumbing job usually cost?

4. In SC we can do our own water meter and backflow installations. $500.00 for a 5/8" meter and backflow and $250.00 for a backflow only.

5. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

450.00 for tap, valve and PVB. all after house meter. plumber get 350.00, permit paid for by customer separately. second meter is olny installed in a few towns, and i don't do much work there.

pg

6. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Coming from Texas where we did the tap, and set the backflow to Wisconsin where it is necessary to have a plumber install the backflow (MV, AVB, & "wild-head") takes a little getting used to. I supply the backflow and the master valve, they supply the permit, copper and the main shut-off and my cost averages $650.00 per residential system. Just forget to put that line item on the estimate worksheet a couple of times and see what the profit on those jobs runs out to.

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Jerry...this wild head runs at all times when the master valve is open?

This is a foreign and backwards concept to me. How do you not end up with severe runoff?

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I think the 'wild head' is a means to justify the otherwise unworkable combination of a master valve and atmospheric vacuum breaker, with more zone valves downstream. What its minimum flow rate is, I don't know. ~ A PVB makes more sense to me.

9. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it runs all the time that the system is on. Many times it is "run to drain" (into the downspout). But more often than not, it is shut off by the homeowner after the inspector has been through. Some contractors put an emmitter into the downspout and technically they are meeting code.

As for using PVB's the explanation was that they needed to be inspected annually and the homeowner would have to pay for the certification. No Chit!!

The wild-head concept has been written out of most code books for many years, but it is alive and well here in Wisconsin.