Cost Per Hour.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Coumbe, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

*trucewhiteflag*If the life expectancy of a WB and a Z is the same and I think they are. Then why should I pay $8K for a Z instead of $3K for a large WB when the cost per hour of operation is double for the Z? They are more productive, but I don't think they a twice as efficient??????????????
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Best I can tell you is wait on big purchases.
  3. Coumbe

I have a 60" Z and A 48"Z now. But they are old and I am needing to replace 1 of them and then I will use the other old one as a backup. But why get a Z at that inflated cost per hour when I can get a WB with a sulky for less up front and half as much to operate per hour when they will last the same amount of time?????????
  4. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

'Cause a good Z will move out at 8 mph
    We have operators that can keep the sticks to the stops for 45 seconds before having to pull back for the turn. Do the arithmatic that's over 500 feet.

Around here doing football fields is just another day at work.

In other words it depends on what you are cutting. If you are doing intricate residential then fine, get a good walk behind, a Z is a luxury. If you are doing football fields leave the walk behind on the trailer
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Whats the weather like in the heat of the summer in conroe tx? Do you think having less fatigue by sitting on your mower will speed you up? Or are you one of the guys living in the fantasy world of "the heat never bothers me"?
  6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Now your are on the right track. You are asking the right questions but you are the only one who knows what type of lawns you are mowing. If you want to stick around in this biz you have to do what works for you, that may change from one year to the next but I :clapping: you for not following the crowd and buying the biggest piece of equipment you can afford.
  7. Coumbe

Hits 100 many times. A sulkee will cool me off too. If I could do LARGE places I can see where I would need one. As of now I just want them.
  8. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Yeah, well wait until you get off that seat and onto that sulky, you'll be singing a different tune I'm afraid :)

Walks are a lot more work.

Conroe is about the same latitude as St. Pete; Houston is same as Pompano.
  9. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are doing big properties at April Sound and Bentwater you'll appreciate the Z. When July and August rolls around, the Z won't be a luxury, it'll be a necessity. I'm speaking from experience.
  10. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

I use a Z because I have mostly big properties and I think my body will last longer in the biz this way.