Cost per hr to run a full size ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Jan 17, 2007.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Just wondering what kind of figures any of you have come up with on the total price it takes to run a ZTR to say 2500 hrs. Cost of ZTR, Gas, maintenance, repairs, etc.

Just for example:

$10,000 purchase price divided by 2500 hrs = $4.00 per hour
    Fuel estimate $3.00 per hour so we would be up to $7.00 already
    before adding maintenance, repairs, etc

I just threw those figures up there for the sake of discussion. What are your thoughts. Lets not include labor in this discussion for now. Yes I know my figures are probably off but its a start. Any friendly comments?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have done spread sheets on this for our Z's and big WB's. The Z's obviously will run more per hour for the simple fact their initial purchase price is higher. Last time I looked, WB's were running around the $7.25 mark and Z's up around $10.

The #1 expense I have found that 99% of the LCO's fail to recognize is replacement cost.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That is about right. One thing you can figure, is that it's about $5 per hour right off the bat for depreciation. Then, you have your fuel and wear costs (belts, spindles, etc.).

- Unless it's "all paid for", like some of the guys' equipment on here...then it doesn't cost anything to run.:laugh:

4. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

oh wow I haven't even thought of approaching it from this angle... I always figured a monthly rate. Let me mow it over tonight... no pun intended. lol

5. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

There are two ways of figuring this, running hour or sitting hour. If you have every piece of equipment running at every yard throughout the day then use the running hour figure, which is figured by cost of machine plus interest - salvage value divided by lifetime hours for machine. then you have maintenance and insurance costs (don't forget man hours for washing and servicing machines) divided by lifetime hours for machine. Then you have you fuel and oil consumption per hour. Figure all three and add toghether and you have running hour cost. If you have various mowers and don't use all of them at every single house then you will want to use a sitting hour cost. Do the same thing as above but instead of using lifetime hours use how many man hours you intend to work (include drive time) for the next year (this works best if you have some kind of record of your time in the past).

6. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I Know this is close to what it costs to run but ......... one thing we are forgetting is that after you run for say 2500hrs and you trade it in or sell it you will get alittle back in return no much but say a 10,000.00 buck machine after 2500 hrs might get you 1500.00 to maybe 2000.00 in return value some may get more some may get less but there has to be some value of the machine . Some like me have just started remotoring or re-powering the machine which was a lot cheaper . I repowered a walk last summer and changed a couple of pullys and belts for 1200.00 bucks which i have another mower that now will run for another 2 or 3 years at very little cost to me .

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Wow... I have to say I'm shocked... and I mean that.

So far this thread has some pretty good posts....

And doesn't have any ******** low numbers that make me shake my head... YET.

There's a lot of additions left yet.... but so far, so good....

8. Mowtown Mike

Mowtown Mike LawnSite Member

I don't think I would have gotten involved in this business if I knew about these figures. I want to smack people when they tell me "Why are you charging me so much just to cut the grass?".

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, thanks for the good thoughtful intelligent answers. They are very helpful. And there are so many variables that could be thrown in such as the cost of transporting the equipment to the job site and labor but I chose to keep it simple for now just to get a handle on ZTR run cost. Thanks ! Keep the info coming.

10. DAV Mowers

DAV Mowers LawnSite Member

I did some number checking last year and this is what I came up with.

Add;

Your truck.

Your ZTR has to get to the job somehow and you need to count that as part of the cost. How much did the truck cost, gas, insurance, maintenance, repairs, etc AND REPLACEMENT COST.

Throw in your trailer and you need to add more to the cost.

Your employee to run one ZTR, add that.

Adding all that up could easy make the real cost per ZTR per hour $35-45.