Cost to Dig Post Holes???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, May 3, 2008.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Hey guys,

I have a customer that wants 30 post holes dug. How much should I charge per hole? Or should I charge hourly? I'll charge cost for the post hole digger rental but how much should I get for going and picking it up and delivering to the site/bringing back?

Also, can one guy run one of those tow behind diggers by himself?

Thanks for any help.

2. SuperDuty335

SuperDuty335 LawnSite Member

Powered augers are great to use. I have a one or two-man powered auger. If the ground isn't solid rock it shouldn't take more than a few minutes per hole. Definitely charge by the hour just in case.

3. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

And have a MIN of so many hours but if u get an auger get a 2 man Those things are a SOB

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

should i rent a tractor/auger instead?

5. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

make sure to get the property located for utilities, and take a quick look at the areas after locating. nothing sucks more than having to hand dig holes you priced to use a machine on.

6. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

ok, sorry, im new, what does that mean?

7. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

it means make sure you call the county (or whoever does it in your area) to come and spray where the gas/water/electrical/phone/whatever lines are buried. breaking one would get you in big trouble, especially since its a law to call before you dig (around here anyway)

8. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

haha the people come out here and spray for u come out and spray and it looks like a collage because there is paint every where and u find one spot its not boom u hit something wether it be a pipe or a rock or a wire. never fails

9. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

it doesn't matter how secluded you think the area is, we found a 100 pair telephone cable in a wooded lot. it was installed 30 years ago and had mature trees on top of it. the locate company didn't even check the area. (their bill, thank goodness) :)

10. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

so what are you guys thinking for a price? 30 holes.