Cost to install 60 pines

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GarPA, Mar 14, 2004.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I might have to sub this job as we're booked solid thru May

Would appreciate a range of cost to:

Install 60, 6 ft white pines..b & b'd
    Ground is level
    No staking
    Edge tree rings

How many man hours would you guesstimate for this job?

I've never installed this many on one job so I'm not embarrased to admit that this one is a little intimidating for us. THere are 50 other smaller plants that also go in that we can handle but 60 pines will be a bit much for a small operation like ours.

thanks much for your help on this one

2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Really depends on your equipment.

We have a bobcat mounted tree spade that could easily plug those 60 holes in a day. If they were all in one location we could probably almost get them all planted too ....perhaps have half a day to finish off and cleanup the following day. 3- man crew.

Our best 1 day last fall was 50 trees with a 4man crew. That was trucking the trees to site,digging the hole, trucking the spoils away(about 3miles)planting , watering in and mulch.

Will you have to truck the spoils away? Will the trees be delivered to site?

Im gonna say somewhere around 60-70 hours with the equipment.

3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Kris...yes trees will be deliverd to site by nursery and debris from planting can be dumped in woods at rear of property..

4. kris

from nowhere

For what it's worth and it's not really worth talking prices on here, with us supplying the trees and all labor it would be around 21k

5. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

It would take me about 1.5 hours per tree to plant by hand. I have never planted that many trees at one time myself but have planted trees that size many times. Normally about 1hr per tree but with that many I would think by the end of the day planting by hand that it may end up being about 2 hrs per tree. Very hard work.

6. dreisman

dreisman LawnSite Member

Do you have acess to a tractor with a 12: auger? I have a 12" Auger on my loader and can plant a tree in 15 minutes or less. Rent a Toro Dingo, simple to use. 21K seeks to be a lot.

7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

A 12" auger isn't going to make a hole for a 6' pine. A 6 ' pine will have a root ball of anywhere's from 18"-24" across and just as deep. We use a 36" auger on our skid-steer and still open the hole up a little bit. There's a rule of thumb for how big a hole should be in relation to the root ball.

Pricing is regional, but for 60 pines at 6 feet tall, well into the 20k range.

GarPa, I would suggest trying to fit this job into your schedule. There is good money in tree installs, and plant installs. I would plan on two days of rental fees for a Toro Dingo with tracks, not the wheeled machine. get the auger attachment and start drilling. You clean the hole out, you have great native soil you just chewed up to backfill and make a slight ring above the surface to help retain water directly over the root ball when watering. Mulch over that ring keeping the "moat" intact and also providing shade from the direct sun, and your done. No need to remove any soil from the site. Maybe just the rocks that will turn up. Be sure to water the trees as you backfill them as to help settle the soil and release any air pockets. I would personally stake the trees. Evergreens never develop an extensive or large root system, so they really need a little support the first year or two. Also, trees should not be staked any longer than two years or they never develop the strength to stand on their own.

8. kris

from nowhere

Our six foot pines have a root ball of at least 32" most 36". I agree with Randy... id try and fit it in. Its not rocket science planting trees...don't jump down my throats for that guys... it's just not as involved as a hardscape... Go for it! Rent the equipment.BTW my price was 21k with nothing else. Feel free to think it's high... I can get it in a heartbeat.

9. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I went through this a few years back, but with 50 or so aspens which are easier than what you're looking at. With a several person workforce we were able to knock this job out in a day doing all the digging by hand, and the job was about 60 miles away. But, we had water right there on hand, could drive the truck up to where the trees were being planted, and the big one was that the soil wasn't hard or rocky. On the ohter hand, a few of us spent a week solid on jack hammers trying to dig 50 40" inch deep holes for a greenhouse. That was hell for sure trying to go through solid lava rock. Augers didn't work.

Better check to see what you're getting into, literally, and then price accordingly.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

gar, if you sub it out you are a knucklehead. good money dude, don't let it pass. it's just laborsome