cost to mow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by burninbill, Mar 21, 2002.

1. burninbill

burninbill LawnSite Member

I am wondering what calculations you guys use when pricing what it costs to run your equipment? I have generally been getting $35 an acre and then questimate what it will cost to trim and blow and go from there. Is there a certain formula that I can use to figure these costs out?

Thanks
    Jon Walker
    Cutting Edge Lawn Care
    Louisville, KY

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

$35 an acre? Don't come up here cause the other LCO's will run you out of town!

3. bridges

bridges LawnSite Member
    from RI

$35 sounds about right

4. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

$35.00 an acre! I hope you are using a 72" deck to get that done as soon as possible.... I think most LCo's will agree that $50.00 is more in line for this size of property based on the type of equipt you use.... An acre is 43,560 sq ft. I generally charge 1.50 per thousand sq ft then add the state sales taxes...... So I generally charge $70.89 to mow an acre. If you use footages for estimating it will give you a much clearer idea how much to charge, I used to charge 45.00 per acre, but when you REALLY look at the wear and tear on your tools not to mention your self, 45.00 seemed to low.... I look at it this way, It a customer thinks $70.00 to mow an acre is to much then I don't have to worry about doing it. Now, you can do small yards and get much more money per 1000 sq ft, between $3.50 and $5.00 for mowing and trimming per thousand sq feet.

5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

proline..

Curious.. How many 1 acre or better lawns do you do?

6. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

My guess is that if proline32 runs a Proline, he doesn't do any acres.
    But the $$$ per acre # is subject to the market you are in and the equipment you are utilizing. I would want $70 per acre, but other LCO's in my area would be satisfied with $35 because they use 72" Steiners.
    The number you are looking for would have to include every aspect of your operation. The formula should include your expenses per unit (hr/day/week/month/year,ect) the hours you worked and the revenues collected. It also depends on what YOUR idea of a decent profit is.
    Therefore, there is no formula that will work for everyone. Look at your numbers from last year and find ways to increase profits without sacrificing service. Good luck.

7. wayne volz

wayne volz LawnSite Member

:blob3:
    There is only one way to know what you need to charge. That is to calculate your costs based on your companies overhead and expenses.

I am also a service in Louisville and have been in business since 1979. Don't guess or ask others what to charge. Please don't anyone take this the wrong way, but the only way to be accurate is to base your costs on your company's overhead and expenses.

Feel free to call me if you like Saturday or one day next week @ 499-7841. I think I have some information that will help you.

Good luck and be profitable!

Know why you charge what you charge!

Wayne

8. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

I don't do any acreage any more...... I gave it up, and when I was doing acreage I was using a 52" Husqvarna Hydro and at the time I was doing it I was doing 3 yards that were at least an acre.
    The going rate around here at the time was $50 bucks for a mowing, I have gotten away from acreage because I can make more money doing small yards that are closer together, around here if you want to mow any acreage you have to travel to the outlying areas of the county to do them and I personally feel that it's not worth it to have to load up a truck, drive out and unload the mowers, do the job and then load up and head back in to more populated area to do the rest of your jobs.

Also, I do not want to spend the money it will cost to purchase a larger more productive machine to do acreage, Therefore If somebody wants me to mow one acre It will cost them $70.89 for me to come out and do it. If the customer says that they can get someone to do it cheaper that is fine, I have customers who pay me $60 bucks to mow 1/2 an acre and don't mind it one bit.