Cost to repack bearings 5 x 10 trailer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by khutch, Feb 22, 2012.

1. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

What would be a reasonable cost to repack bearings 5 x 10 trailer. I probably should be doing this myself but sometimes the time and effort can be put towards things that you are good at.....Trailer has about 12,000 miles on it - How often is a repack recommended? All neighborhood driving, no interstate travel.

2. aaron79mowing

aaron79mowing LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

You are wanting to just regrease them? A assume you don't have grease zerks on your hubs. All you need to do is replace the dust covers on your hubs with bearing buddy caps. These have fittings built in and you can easily grease them once a year or so with your lube gun.

3. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Invest in bearing buddys and a grease gun. You can do it in about 10 minutes.

4. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

Facts being you live in a part of the country that dose not have much snow/salt and your mowing season may be a little longer than mine here in Illinois. I cant see the need for repacking wheels unless you hear or see a problem when changing tires. If you carrie a over sized load for the trailer rating. And if your typical mowing day has hours of travel time. The biggest problem with wheel bearings are when you go long distance with a heavy load, this is called over heating. Small loads with short runs one would think you should go 20 or 30.000 miles.

But this is if all thing being equal. I myself would save my money for gas this year. Plus I would do it myself, but that is just me...

5. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Problem with youngsters that came on line in life post rwd cars that hand drum brakes or early disc brakes that had their wheel bearings repacked with every brake job.

If you were hard on your brakes this meant your bearings got greased every 10,000 - 15,000 miles.

Or like me you went up to 68,000 miles. I never had a bearing go bad from going past the 30,000 factory sevice interval for repacking the bearings.

Most of the problem from bearings going bad is from people smearing grease over the surface of the bearing. That is not packing a bearing.

Then you have the people making a bearing to loose or tight.

6. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

The time it takes to repack the bearings is nothing if you let them go to the point that they fail. Then you may have to buy a new axle as the bearing can and will destroy the spindle if you let them go too long. I know this first hand. I sold off my first trailer after this happened and the new one I have now has bearing buddies on it. A few pumps and its good to go. They're cheap and can be had at most trailer shops.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. jtsnipe

jtsnipe LawnSite Member

In my opinion bearing buddies are a gimmick.I'v seen them packed full(fill slide plate all the way out)and still saw the bearing burn up.If you don"t have a zerk on the end of your axle putting grease in the hubs,pull the hubs clean and repack.And deffinatly install new seals.

8. khutch

Thanks for the replies - As usual quite a difference of opinions. Think I'll pass on the bearing buddies from what I've heard. Back to the orginal question - What is the typical cost to repack for this size trailer? I was quoted $160 which sounded a bit high. I know it is a pretty easy job, sometimes don't mind paying to have someone else do it, esp. when I have never done it and would not mind getting it done in a couple of hours and not deal with the learning curve.

9. khutch

Thanks for the replies - As usual quite a difference of opinions. Think I'll pass on the bearing buddies from what I've heard. Back to the orginal question - What is the typical cost to repack for this size trailer? I was quoted $160 which sounded a bit high. I know it is a pretty easy job, sometimes don't mind paying to have someone else do it, esp. when I have never done it and would not mind getting it done in a couple of hours and not deal with the learning curve.

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG] Tell um to knock 110 bux off that ridiculous price and you'll think about it..... :dizzy: