1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cost to replace cut satellite cable

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Brian B, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Brian B

Brian B LawnSite Senior Member

i was running a sod cutter today and cut right through a satellite cable. the upside of the deal is that the home owner is in paris right now, but has people staying in the barn that she has fixed up into a bed and breakfast. they now have no T.V. I thinkit's direct TV. any idea how much this is goping to cost me?
  2. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

3. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Personally it shouldnt cost you a dime.They should be buried!!! Not your fault.Tell them it broke your machine and they need to pay for repairs. NO SERIOUSLY DONT GO THAT FAR , Although I will if push comes to shove. If it's the same as cable buy some couplers etc and fix it for under $10
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not familiar with sod cutters, if it's a machine that digs and the cable was buried, then you're supposed to have called Miss Utility...

I wouldn't try and splice it or repair it, you do as you wish but I spent 1-2 hours on a cable line once, splice all you want the customers still said the signal wasn't clear... That was the first and last line I ever cut in 6 years, nowadays I make extra sure.

I would see if you can get the customer to call the satco, tell them if it costs anything to let you know, but if you call it will cost :)
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up connectors for about $5 and fix it.
  6. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

None of the installers bury this stuff at the correct depth - that is why they will repair it without charge . But it is far easier to carry repair parts with you and fix it yourself . It is not difficult to splice .

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

Fix it, nothin to it. get the connectors, right size wires and some heat shrinks and your done
  8. Brian B

Brian B LawnSite Senior Member

yeaH. i had the sod cutter set to 1.75". so the cable was less then 2" underground. i donyt think i should have to pay anything.
  9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I used to install cable television. The coaxial cable is nearly the same for cable tv and satellite. It is most likely RG-6 cable. You can get everything you need to repair it at either Lowes or Home Depot. 2 Rg-6 ends and a barrel. Go ahead and get the correct tool to prep the cable ends and the tool to install the connectors on the cable. All the tools are inexpensive, and you will be able to use the same tools for odd jobs around your house. Don't sweat it, simple fix.
    No cable installers or satellite installers bury the cables very deep. A lot of times they will just lay it under new sod. I usually buried it only about 6 inches deep. Even if you had called in locates, they wouldn't have marked it. They figure it is easier and cheaper to repair than to spend the time marking cable drops.
  10. Turf Terror

Turf Terror LawnSite Member

You can get "tool-less" connectors...
    Splice it, bury it...pretend nothing happened. Tell the people in the barn that the owners went to Paris and forgot to pay their satellite bill--that's why the service was interrupted.
    Tell the barn-dwellers that you paid the bill for them--that's why they got TV now. Then ask them for a beer....