1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cost to reseed a 4 x 8 section of lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ple_1969, Jan 14, 2003.

1. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

I was in the process of buying a house and the deal fell thought. Here is the problem, I had an open pit septic inspection done that disturbed a 4 x 8 foot area of dirt which the owner wants repaired. I know that he will be inflating the estimate so I am looking for some realistic estimated costs here.

Basically the ground that was dug up is raised about 4 inches from the ground surrounding it. How much would you charge a customer to rake the dirt level to the rest of the grounds and reseed the 4 X 8 area. Don’t know if this helps, but the house is located in western New Jersey.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would charge about $75 (maybe less). Sounds like about 15 or 20 minutes of work at best. BTW, I'm 15 minutes away from you.
  3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Rodfathers estimate sounds very close but remember that almost no one guarantees seeding work. It is up the owner to make sure the area is watered unless you want to pay for installation people to come back twice a day to water.

4. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

If they dug the dirt out for access, and it is raised, I would probably pack the dirt back down or else it will settle over time.

Labor and equipment(packer)+ material cost=My cost would under 100
    I would figure one hour labor+ rental cost on the machine(?) 32sq ft= 1 bale and the smallest bag of seed(25lb)

After you pack it, rake 2-3 inches for seeding.
  5. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

I hopr you are going to do this in the near furture. In my area we wait until mid Feb. to start seeding. You further north so I would guess you need to wait until March.

Now for that particular area. Sowing grass over an septic tank is one of the most difficult to do. Make sure you tell the home owner that it extra watering to get grass to established in this area. The first place in my own yard went it gets dry is right over the septic tank. It can be done but it takes a lot of care.

Now for the price... again your market is different than mine. $75.00 is a good price. Just remember to discuss the situation with the owner.
  6. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

It would cost me over $50 just to rent the machine to pack it (if that is necessary). I would be charging $150 or so for this service to a one time client, $100 to a weekly customer. Do they have a landscaper now? Also, does the area need any loam brought in or is it good rich loam that was dug up?
  7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Have you considered the option for applying sod??? Here it comes in sections 18” wide x 36” long and retails for about $3.50 per section at Home Cheapo. Im guessing that you could have plenty of material to work with allowing for seams and all with 9 pieces (3w x 3l). Total cost of materials will run you about $35 max (10pcs +/-), and you could level the area by hand yourself cutting w-aa-yyy back on the labor costs.

Just make sure that you have the homeowner sign off:
    >> that the repair was made by you,
    >> in satisfactory condition,
    >> and you are not liable for loss due to lack of watering.

Good Luck!!!
  8. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the response. I thought it would be about $100 but I wan not sure.

Hey Rodfather – we used to live in Clinton Township off of Grey Rock Rd. Sold our house over the summer do to the hotel that they are going to build on Rt. 31. I am living with the in-laws until we find a house.

Thanks again everyone!

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Something that small I think I would just sod like said above.

If I was going to seed that I have a minimum price of $100.
  10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

good lord it isnt rocket science. 8x10? 5 lbs of seed it probably too much. rake it level, throw down the seed, rake the seed so its covered and not exposed, throw down a little more seed, tamp it to make hard contact with the soil(probably use yur feet) get the $75, and beat it