cost to run a mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1wezil, Jan 29, 2008.

1. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

is there anybody out here that has a good idea of what it cost you on a per hour wear and tear on your mowers from parts to oil changes ,and any other cost, to how long they will last ? somebody must have good idea on the break down for a $8000.00 to $10000.00 mower ?? i hope i ask this the right way!!!! thanks

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

One main factor to consider - is that depreciation itself on a machine like a ZTR is approximately $5 per hour IF it is treated well and kept in decent shape. It can go up to $10 per hour real fast with some employees operating it. After that, you have to figure your repair costs - as these can vary in several ways. Things like just what kind of access and what degree of repair can you do yourself. For some, they can't change a belt on their own...for many, like myself, no dealership or repair facility ever touches my equipment - ever. I don't care if it is an engine rebuild, or welding; It is done on our own. The other degree of repair to consider is frequency. This relates closer to what was mentioned earlier with employees. It is a simple rule of thumb - based on averages, if the operator doesn't own the machine, it is going to need more repairs. As soon as you have employees running your equipment, you will find this out.
    Lastly, is fuel costs. This has to be figured on an individual basis. Different machines, with different engine/deck configurations, use different amounts of fuels in different conditions. You just sort of have to average out your gallons (dollars) to running time.

3. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

thanks for the fast reply that's what i was looking for i already had a cost for gas and oil changes. i do 99.9% of all repairs. thanks

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I charge $5hr for large mowers such as Zs, tractors, and large walkbehinds.