Cost to spread mulch.

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Greg78, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

I got a local place charges $20.25 a yard or $1.50 a bag for spreading mulch, several other local places are about the same . I have always charged around $50.00 a yard or $4.00 a bag to spread depending on the property elevations, shrubs in the bed and how close I can get the pallets of mulch. This is just for spreading the mulch, not the cost of the mulch itself or any bed prep. We are talking about 2 CUFT bags.

Am I way off on my pricing? I got a customer that wants me to come closer to this price.

2. Greg78

I have reviewed several of our last mulch jobs and running the numbers I have decided we will not lower our price to match. I am still interested if anybody on here can do it for that cheap?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Well, it cost me 1.89/bag for cypress, so I will not be spreading for 1.5.....those are gutter prices. They are prob making very little on the job.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Greg78

Melaleuca mulch costs me $1.99 a bag. Cypress I can get 3 cuft bags for $2.53. So the question is if they are making very little why do it?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. jequigle

jequigle LawnSite Member

I am charging $30 a yard to spread the mulch. I am getting mulch at $20 a yard and selling for $50

6. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm paying $18.00 per yd selling it for $46.00. I double the price then I charge $10.00 per yd to spread.

7. Good question. I'm sure if it's a mulch supplier their cost is low, but their prices are dirt cheap....
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. GainesvilleLawnscaping

GainesvilleLawnscaping LawnSite Member

We don't normally use bags, but we charge between $35-$45/yd. Usually $40-45.

9. gsaunders5

gsaunders5 LawnSite Member

We charge the cost of mulch, plus delivery, plus $50.00 per yard to spread. That's Dark Hardwood Bulk Mulch.

10. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

The way they make money is that they are probably paying $8 a yard or less for it. They charge $25+ for it and $20.25 to pitch it. I know the cost is low because I was looking for a better deal one time on mulch and a local garden center owner told me that he would sell it to me for $10 a yard if I bought 100 yards. He said "you pay me. The supplier drops it off at your place and I never touch it." Just a wild guess, but he was still going to make a lick off of it. Wholesale mulch prices must be fairly low. I'm sure it's up now due to delivery expense, but it's still probably no more than 40% of retail.