Cost versus Quality traderoff - BERMUDA

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by user123, Jan 1, 2007.

1. user123

user123 LawnSite Member

Looking to establish a new front and backyard. 1.5 acres of space. Have been pricing all the different seed types and don't think I will be going with Princess-77 for the entire acreage, if at all.

What is recommened Bermuda for a good "cost versus appearance" tradeoff? I am not using my yard for the PGA Golf Championships, but I do want a nice look to the yard, strong enough for the local kids to play Nerf football and not tear the grass up.

Should I just buy the bags of Common Bermuda at Lowes? Will this be fine for my purposes? I can pay a little more for better quality but I am not Warren Buffett either.

Thanks and Happy New Year

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have irrigtion on this? If so then maybe I would go with some special seeds that might be better than common bermuda. Otherwise go with common bermuda, in our area you don't need to plant it just mow low and in a couple years it will cover a yard.

3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Well, in central Texas, with out irrigation and reasonable rainfall no real contiguous turf coverage is going to occur.
    Unless you count cockleburs, spurge and crabgrass.
    Provided you have some form of irrigation, ie like a traveling water cannon, contact Douglas Seeds out of San Antonio for their recommendations on seeded products.
    Cost is a whole lot cheaper than box store prices, the seed typically carries a greater percentile germination rate and most importantly cost is substainally less.
    Now, if you have an irrigation system, why not plant 419 Bermudagrass from springs?
    Sprigging is a bunch faster than seed, and a whole boat load cheaper than sod.
    Bear in mind with our rampant summer temps, expect at least three years for a healthy stand of turf from seed.