1. mowforyourmoney

mowforyourmoney LawnSite Member
    from kc

hey i live in kc and it's been asked before but where do you get licensed for fert/weed control? how much does the test cost? O YA can a minor get it??? AND lastly do you all think it's worth it i'm thinking of putting that i do fert on my doorhangers would all the work (getting licensing,TONS of research,buying spreader and fert/weed control) be worth it
    thanx in advance

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

look at top of forum page under licensing for all state then just follow to your state
  3. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Are you on the KS or MO side?

If its KS then here you go.

If its MO then youre on your own.

In answer to your other questions.

Before you start advertising for weed control you need to be liscenced. State law.

You dont need any sort of liscence for straight fert though.

Yes you have to be 18.

Remember all these answers are for the state of KS ONLY.
  4. mowforyourmoney

mowforyourmoney LawnSite Member
    from kc

thanx everyone so what should i do?!?! i'm a minor should i bother to do just fert. OR (my prefference) just do weed stuff w/o a license (which i'll have to do if i do any weed stuff) o yeah where do you buy most your weed stuff ?grasspad/lesco? or somewhere elso

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i would not do it w/o a lisence if you get caught it is a big time fine and makes your business look bad as well as the rest of us in the public eye. if you have to do it sub it out to a lisenced compny
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Humm, well the appropriate answer here is that 1. you can't get a license until you are 18 and 2. you should never apply anything without a license.

Now lets get real here... When I was 18 (and younger) I, nor anyone else I talked to, new anything about needing a license to apply anything to someones lawn or landscaping. I think I was applying weed killers and insecticides when I was as young as 12 or 13. Sure I was just using a pump up can sprayer or a hose end sprayer and a broadcast spreader. Did I kill anyone? No. Personally I think it's a bunch of BS. If you are young and not doing 1,000 lawns I see no harm in it. You obviously are smart enough to read and understand a label and application rates if you know enough about it to ask on here. If you do get caught (big IF) by the state they are not going to do anything more to you then educate you about the license and the requirements to get it and tell you to not apply pesticides till you have it.

Granted, you don't want to be a smarty pants and continue applying after you have been warned, get caught a 2nd time and you can't plead ignorance.

KS and MO use basically the same test and requirements for their programs. I know, beacuse I get packets that say just that, I can go to MO for training courses or classes and they will count towards my license.

Since you don't have a license I would say just stick to home depot, lowes, ect. for your chemicals and fertilizers. They are good enough if applied correctly and are in lesser concetrations so there is a little less chance of accidental damages to anything.

(Yes I know I will be flamed for this post...)
  7. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Dont do it without a liscence. Its illegal and it can cost you your business. Get your manuals and start to study.

I get mine from Lesco and they help me with questions I have.
  8. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

You don't need a license to apply the green guardian weed product, as long as the lawns are fertilized, you can spot spray the weeds with it. It might solve both your problems by using it as weed and feed, mix up a back pack and spray your lawns. You won't break any laws this way :nono: and it will be better for you and your customers well being. :waving: It may cost a little more but you can easily upsell your customers on the benefits of it.payup