1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Costal Oil???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MR. Nomo, Jan 19, 2004.

1. MR. Nomo

MR. Nomo LawnSite Member

This past week end I went the nearest gas station of one of my clients to mix some 2 cycle gas. Once I got there I search and searched my truck for the last bottle of stihl oil. I had just made sure I had some the night before. No luck!! I went in the store to see if they carried any and sure enough all they had was Costal 2 stroke engine oil.... I mixed it a little rich just in case.

Have you ever had any bad experince with Costal products?

Has any body been in this situation with simimular products?

I usually use premuim Robin or stihl oil...

By the way I just ordered some AMSOIL 100:1 premix.

Thanks for the feed back ...
  2. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I use Costal oil in all my mowers. I change it every two weeks so it doesn't matter what I use.

As far as the 2 cycle stuff goes, Iv never had the bad luck of running out of my Stihl oil.
  3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think I would trust any oil by Coastal or National. Any oil that looks dirty and stinks, right out of the bottle can't be good. I run Mobil 1 in everything. Amsoil 2 cycle in the mix. Never had an oil related problem. Engines run about 20% cooler than with standard oil too.
  4. MR. Nomo

MR. Nomo LawnSite Member

That's the first thing I did, I unscrewed the cap and smelled the stuff. It did have a lot different odor compared to the Stihl or Robin oil.

Do you use the 100:1 premix or a different amsoil product?

My backpack blower and hedge clippers use 25:1 mix. Of course there is a blue cloud around if I stand in one place to long.
    I'm hoping that withe the amsoil stuff that will disapear. I plan on mixing it at 80:1 or 75:1 which ever will be the easiest.

If you will give me a little input on using the amsoil..
  5. greendave

greendave LawnSite Member

Use synthetic in everything you can. Equipment will run cooler, last longer. For two strokes I've always mixed Amsoil at 100 to 1, appropriate weight oil in 4 strokes and never had an oil related failure in anything I've owned.
  6. mosynthetics

mosynthetics LawnSite Member

The AMSOIL comes in 8oz, 1 qt and 1.5 oz containers. If you buy AMSOIL what size do you usually buy and how do you mix it (what size containers).

7. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I use the 100:1 Amsoil... I mix it at about 75:1 and I have never had any problems. No smoke either... Good Stuff
  8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I got lucky and found the Amsoil 100:1 premix at a local Ace hardware. They stock it in the quart bottles. I stop by there every so often and buy a quart even though I dont need it at the moment. I like to stock up.
  9. MR. Nomo

MR. Nomo LawnSite Member

Metro, thanks for your response. That what I am planning to mix it at also. I dont know why? They say 100:1 but I just want to be alittle conservative with a product I've never used.

Barry, I order the 12 8oz bottles which should be here by Friday. Most of my 2 cylcle's are standard 50:1 and a couple are 25:1. Yea, those make a lot of blue smoke. I'm looking forward to just having one mix for all equipment
    Mixing the amsoil 75:1 should be more than addiquite, right?
    Also, do you have your own website?
    Is there any way I might find a local dealer around my area? It look like they only have distributor's on the corperate web site.
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I use the Opti-2 oil. Get it in 1 gal size. Makes 100 gallons of mixture. It was $41 per gal or 41cents per gallon mixed.