1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by smarino21, Aug 8, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

Any of you guys buy tool, oil, like that from costco or sams? Is it worth it?

Or even fuel ?
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

you can get gas a bit cheaper if you are a member of those places, its worth it IMO for the membership just for that reason.
  3. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to often but sometimes i catch a great deal at Sams club. Last winter i got a good deal on bagged rock salt.
  4. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

I have a SAMS Business Account...LOVE IT!!! Been a member for years and save SOOOOOOOOOOO much $$$ it isn't funny...
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I can find as good if not better deals elsewhere, I feel their membership fee forces me to shop there so that I can justify paying it.

I further feel the term wholesale is a widely abused joke. No doubt I see a lot of business owners have a membership but whether one could operate a profitable business via this supposed 'wholesale' enterprise is another story entirely. True wholesale to me is purchasing in large quantities (minimum order 50-100 each) at a considerable discount (technically, about 65-70 percent off retail, but that is hard to find).

Where I buy oil?
    Big Lots sometimes has quarts of Synthetic Blend for $1.99 and lower / quart (the least I ever paid was $1.79).
    Walmart has their own brand of Full Synthetic $12.50 / 5 quart bottle (so $2.50 / qt. for full synth).
    What's Sam's / CostCo's price on synth? Do they even carry it? If they carry conventional oil, a buck a quart would be right.

As for me, I find I'm better off headed in the direction of salvage / foreclosure, and when purchasing wholesale, I'm talking about buying 100 of something and discount-wise, it better be at least 50% off otherwise it's not true wholesale but some kind of a joke, these measly 5-10% discounts with the whopper 20% off for sale items, gimme a break.

Oh yeah, don't forget waiting in line (and I mean wait in LINE) at the register, there just went my $30 dollar savings out the door in time spent goofing off. I suppose if one studied Sam's / CostCo over time, one could find their loss leaders and if one is keen about it, find the frames where customer traffic is low, guess it depends what you're into but lets not forget that if traffic is low, so are the number of manned registers.
  6. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Not every item is a bargain thats for sure...still have to shop around...but when you buy cases of things...the savings really start adding up...I easily save my membership in 1 trip...1 example is tires...I can buy tires for my bucket truck (10 ply, load range E heavy duty commercial mofo's) for $90 a pop WITH mounting/balancing brand name BF Goodrich Commercial tires too...The local Tire Discounters wants $130+ for the same tire...Cereal...You can hardly buy a box of Lucky Charms in the store for under $5...At SAMS I not only get Lucky Charms but also Coco Puffs and Trix all 3 as a package deal for under $6...This computer was $3000 at Circuit City/Best Buy...$1100 at SAMS...DON'T buy soda there though...You'll pay more than at Wal-Mart...Point is you have to shop around...Not everything in any store is the best deal...
  7. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

Also according to Clark Howard Sams is the cheapest place to set up credit card processing and they have awesome rates for business loans. There are some deals there but you gotta shop around
  8. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I have gotten good deals on WD40 and engine oil at costco. They also have good tool sets.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well ok, those deals aren't too bad and like you said, you have to look and know your prices - That much is old news, you have to do that no matter where you go... But then, seeing how I still have to do that, why bother paying membership, what makes them so special? Everybody acts like like it's such a great place and with membership you CAN'T find better deals anywhere but that is just not true, and one-stop shopping it isn't, either (oh huhuhu, unless you don't mind spending MORE and I mean a LOT more!).
    The lines at the registers.... ugh...

Tires for the truck, is that mounted and balanced?
    Oh yeah, that's extra... See, now where I get them you have to shop until such time they go on sale (which in turn pays for the shipping like right now, if you buy 4 of them you can get a $40 mail-in rebate), but:

Personally, I'd get these because LOOK at the survey results, does Sam's / CostCo give you Customer comparisons on tires?
    Look at that, not a rating below excellent, guess some folks like to shop for tires while blinded by the salesman's flashy smile and convincing bs, but not me.

Same thing, $88 - $92 / tire, depending what kind you want, see now mounting and balancing is still extra but OH you can shop around as to WHO you want to mount them! I think the last time I was at CostCo they said if I bought them, they HAD to install them (and it's not cheap) yeah because of the warranty... I said, WHAT warranty!??! Oh they're like talking about this run-flat warranty oh but it costs extra per tire and I said forget it, I don't want it, just gimme the tires... No, liability issues, they said.
    That was the last they saw of me, haven't paid a membership fee since.

Cereal, I got a bunch of boxes of Count Chocula recently, a dollar a box (10.75 ounce, it's a regular size), the time before that I got 24 boxes of some kind of mix for $1.75 / box. And no membership fee to justify for it.
  10. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Isnt Walmart and Sams club partner stores? I would think the prices would be the same for porducts carried at both stores. We like going to sams club if we have a party or event coming up where we need to buy a lot of food. The lines arent too bad if you go during the week.