costumer demands pay their water bill

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by garciajj612, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

What about the warranty, with this being a new install? Hopefully it was only a 1year warranty.

Rock and a hard spot.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Any sizable leak means the system wouldn't work in the first place. Customers do have to take some responsibility to inform the installer if there's a problem.

3. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Many water companies will also reduce a bill IF the customer can prove they had a leak. Sometimes it just takes a review of the past three or four bills for the water company to recognize high use and make a one time adjustment.

4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Bingo, I cant be responsable for a situation I didnt even know existed.

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

First of all you must verify that there either is or isn't a leak.

If there is a leak it needs to be fixed under warranty.

If there is no leak, check the controller.

If they say that the leak was fixed by others then physical and photographic proof will be shown to you by the owner without you even asking.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Tell them to sh!t in their hat. They should have called you months ago.

7. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Lets see... the home owner let this go for 5 months before letting you know.

The answer to this whole situation is, NO.

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

As I've said many times to contractors:"you touched it, you own it". It's the "clients" stupidity to not look at the water bills, but now you're caught between a rock and a hard place. :cry:

9. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Not really, I'll accept responsibility for redoing something I worked on that failed but I'm not going to take on any ancillary damages caused by that, especially if the homeowner didn't bother to tell me there was a problem. That's pretty much standard for anything. If they want to make a stink, that's what lawyers are for.

As to the OP, I would be willing to bet money that what really happened is their water bill dropped dramatically because they just aren't watering anymore, not because of a leak. About 85% of my summer water bill is irrigation, I go from about 45k/gal month in the peak of the summer to about 8k/gal month in the winter. It could be less but at least 3k/gal of that monthly bill is showers for my 16 y/o daughter...

10. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

If they really think there is a leak then I would recharge the system and monitor the water meter for water usage. That can be a little misleading sometimes. We just looked at a system where we had winterized it and some one came tot he customers door and told them they had high ground water. The owner did have a leak but it was in the house, not our responsibility. The other example is the lady who mistakes her neighbors water meter for her own and her system is 18' vans with a 27 min runtime. just my two cents.